Need input on hand guards...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I took a die grinder to mind, grinding down the three tack welds took no time at all.

Name:  bikentrailer.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  107.8 KB

Old 06-24-2010, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Bweekly, how did you end up mounting the inside edge of your bars there?
I actually tapped the weights in the end of my stock bar intending to use that till I got a new bar (a laborious, and horrible ordeal with a crappy tap mind you) thinking that I'd figure out how to line it all up after that when I could really put the bars in place.

But once I got that far I discovered that there was just no nice way to do it.. I'd have to bend things on the bark busters that would interfere with levers, or would have to cut them off the original mounting point on the inside edge and bend and re-drill for the interior mounts or would have to line them up in ridiculous ways. There was just no way they were going on in a way that I was happy with.

By replacing my bars, the only mod I had to make was actually to trim a tiny bit off the most inside edge of the plastic part of the protector where it goes over the brake line for the front brake master cylinder.

On the question about single point mount, I've never seen a single point mount that wasn't obnoxiously flimsy. They block wind pretty effectively, but in terms of 'protection' they might keep soft willow branches and weeds off your hands on the trails (a bonus to be sure) but when it comes to accidentally clipping a tree, dropping the bike, hitting a heavier branch (in short, anything that's going to cause REAL damage) the flimsy single points that you can fold back to the bar with your bare hands easily just don't stand a chance against the 400+ pounds of metal and man traveling at speeds. They wont even keep you from bending a brake lever if your bike falls over because the kickstand sinks too much. I don't even feel comfortable riding with them after having bark-busters. (probably like some guys dont like riding without gloves after they get a good pair, or without a chest protector, or a helmet once they start wearing one) it's a safety feature you learn to appreciate and feel 'naked' without. Even if you found a 'solid' single mount.. the single mount is a weak point and any impact is leverage working against it. Just my opinion, if you dont ride woods, and you're not worried about blocking more than the wind, a single mount is probably good for open space riding as long as a lever here or there doesn't bother you.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't cut the bars, the handguards are already going to be close to the clutch and break lever bracket. Just use a 5/8 drill and then clean up with a dremmell.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, there's my thoughts confirmed.

I have a pipe cutter, thinking now just to get a set and adapt however I need to. I'm no Enduro racer, but will be seeing all kinds of trees.

Those Acerbis look good, do they come in KLX Red?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

SF model doesn't has not have a cross bar, does the S model?

I simply took a coping saw and shaved the grip and throttle tube, grind out welds on the weights inside the bars. removed weights and installed the guards, took about a hour and a half total.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bweekley
SF model doesn't has not have a cross bar, does the S model?

I simply took a coping saw and shaved the grip and throttle tube, grind out welds on the weights inside the bars. removed weights and installed the guards, took about a hour and a half total.
Mine does.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Dude loose the stock flimsy bars that bend with any mishap. I went with Renthals just do not cut any off the width of them because you will not have enough room to mount all the controls.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I cut about 1/4 inch off the stock bar ends with a sawzall and they came right out.
Used tusk brand handguards I got for $34. I would have been through several levers by now without them. One drop and you might be stuck in the woods without a clutch......

Old 06-25-2010, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
OK, there's my thoughts confirmed.

I have a pipe cutter, thinking now just to get a set and adapt however I need to. I'm no Enduro racer, but will be seeing all kinds of trees.

Those Acerbis look good, do they come in KLX Red?
Not sure about Acerbis but Barkbusters come in KLX Red

Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Not sure about Acerbis but Barkbusters come in KLX Red
My Moose ones came in KLX green red, black, white, etc...

Oh and yes, mine has a cross bar

Quick Reply: Need input on hand guards...