Need input on hand guards...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need input on hand guards...

Hello, Looking for input on hand guards, I like the Acerbis but need to know if the handle bars need to be drilled out or are they hollow at the ends, (I have a 2009 klx250s) I see many brands out there looking for quality and durability as well as ease to install.. Thanks, Chas

Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Your planning on using the stock bars?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm also interested in this, same bike, stock bars.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

The barends on the stock bars are very hard and not worth trying to drill and tap. If you have a pipe cutter, it is pretty easy to cut the bars just inside of the weld and remove the weights. If you don't have a pipe cutter, it may be easier to just get new bars.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

I have the Moose Hand Guards, the mounting point was basically impossible with the stock bar because of the crossbar. Ultimately, for $40 for a new bar I was happy to go with an oversize bar and riser, improvements all the way around. Got rid of that pesky cross bar, got a stronger bar, narrowed it up a tad and made myself happier

Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep your going to have to either remove the plugs which are also removeable with a dremel. Like CM and Jackson indicated new bars are good choice. The time and effort they save outweighs the added cost in my opinion. I have the barkbuster guards and cant be more pleased with them. Mine are mounted on Renthal Bars. Space is a premium but it sounds to me like less of a problem than stock bars.
Keep in mind that the aftermarket bars dont have the little dimple that keeps the throttle aligned and I think they are slightly smaller so you will have to shave the nipple from inside of the throttle mount & I put some wraps of electrical tape on the bar to match the size. I can still twist on the throttle hard in either direction and move the whole thing but for normal operations it stays in place.
cheers Jim

Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Have any had good satisfaction from guards that don't use the bar ends?

Like Cycra Stealth or similar?

They look a bit flimsy to me with only one mounting point, but are they sturdier than they look?

And I think my stock bars are standard 7/8? I actually don't mind the cross bar - gives something to mount a bag onto also.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt get aftermarket guards that dont attach to the bar end...The point of hand guards, to me, is so when you lay it down it doesnt mess the levers up, and protects your hands when your going through trees that are just wide enough for your bars to get through. I know i have bashed my hand guards off a few trees, hands would have probably been broke.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I wouldnt get aftermarket guards that dont attach to the bar end...The point of hand guards, to me, is so when you lay it down it doesnt mess the levers up, and protects your hands when your going through trees that are just wide enough for your bars to get through. I know i have bashed my hand guards off a few trees, hands would have probably been broke.
+1. Single point mounting guards not worth having

Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

imho, single points are for people that listen to the myths of riders getting there arm cought in the handguard during a crash. i would go for the wrap arounds just cus they protect your hands better in a get off.

Quick Reply: Need input on hand guards...