need help, move the needle or change the main?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default need help, move the needle or change the main?

I had a post going about decel pop, which didn't really bother me to much because the bike seemed to run well. I took it out today, the temp has gone up and so has humidity. Lets just say the bike didn't run very well. I went through my local trails on my way to explore some new ones and could tell the bike wasn't running right, it was bogging down untill i would start to get on it. I got to the new trails that i wanted to explore it was a lot of rocks and was going up the side of the Appalation mts. so elevation was starting to change, the bike was slightly bogging while going up and was stalling if quickly letting off the gas. Throttle response was not that great either. It made for an interesting ride up the trails. I also noticed more and louder decel pops on my ride home on the streets. I pulled the plug when I got home and it looked like black soot was on it(I never read plugs before and am not really sure what I am looking for) but I belive it is running rich. Should I drop the needle down a slot, put a smaller main in, or both? Could running rich give you decel popping and the cooler air temps were making up for the increased fuel, now i am just seeing the effects of running rich due to the higher temps and humidity change. BTW I am running full muzzy, 135 main, 40 piolet, NT1C needle on third position, feul screw was 2 turns out(I did back it down to 1.5 while on the trail, not sure if ithelped or not)twinsair filter, no lid, backfire screen removed, slide drilled, desmogged, breather drilled.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: need help, move the needle or change the main?

Try putting the lid back on. I struggled with trying to get things jetted right, butafter putting the lid back on did things start to converge.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I have thought about putting the lid on. Should i get the kdx hiflow snorkel, remove the snorkel completly, or remove it and open the lid some. I will say that it is probably easier to tune with the lid, it would be easier to add or take awy more air. Once the lid is off it isn't easy to get more air in.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I ran with a KDX snorkle for a long time and recently I pulled the snorkle out for an experiment and it didn't seem to change much.

I agree, if the airbox lid is off then it should be easier to get more air in and more air should flow in. To compensate, then bigger jets should be the answer -- which I tried too, but things never got quite right.

I can't explain it, but it seems that this bike likes the airbox lid on once the exhaust is opened up.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

What kind of settings are you running and at about what elevation are you at? Are you full system or slip on.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

how large was the swing in temp? and what was the elevation you were riding at?

Old 05-28-2007, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

May be 20-25 degrees at most but humity did jump quite a bit. I don't think elevation was super high, but it was probably higher then the bike ever was. I am normaly at around 600-700 ft. It wasn't really running right at my normal spots but got worse as i started going up.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

your plug would tell you you are running very rich
and the weather conditions would dictate exactly that
check out this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air

sounds like you need to rejet smaller not larger like we had been discussing on the other thread
i would at all times let for plug lead you

lean, white or grey ash colored
rich, dark sooty oily
perfect, a nice light tan color

Old 05-28-2007, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

So the question still arises, should I drop the needle a slot, bump the main down a size, or both.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:13 AM
1st Gear Member

YYYGUY has put together a handy little chart which shows several peoples settings
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_67995/tm.htm

everyone at your elevation has a considerably smaller main jet (124 and 125)
and still have a 35 pilot in, thier needles are also down on the second clip

im 3000 feet higher than you are so my setings are a moot point

Quick Reply: need help, move the needle or change the main?