Need better tires now !

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need better tires now !

OK, I'll admit that I loved the improvement my current D606s made over stock...but now I'm hitting the limit on both the front and rear. I'm riding B level trails at events and ALL the trials at Hatfield McCoy....single track and blacks. I ride everything but I'll say mostly rock, hardpack and loamy single track woods trails....with some mud and sand thrown in.

Now that I'm getting better (not just faster, but learning technique too) my trouble is the front sliding in loamy single track and gravel. Rear I don't have many complaints about exept in the loamy stuff. So I guess I'd like to hit corners faster, exist harder and lean more.

I'm leaning toward 120/100 Trackmaster IIs and the K779F 90/90 front tire. I'm looking for the most aggressive tire, I ride 2% road.

It used to be D606 vs Trackmaster but it seems there's so much that has come out in the last year or two, like the Metzler 6 Day Extremes and of course the K779s.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Would you go back to a D606 for the rear for the right price. I bought one and then my bike was stolen. Its sitting here going to waste

Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buff36
Would you go back to a D606 for the rear for the right price. I bought one and then my bike was stolen. Its sitting here going to waste

check your pm.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

D606 rear and D908F on the front. Great combo in all conditions. The rear 606 is sooo stiff, run 12 psi to get the best from it. All DOT tyres are a compromise. Get some Kenda Carlsbad if your not riding on the road. Cheaper and better than any DOT tyre.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Best front tire I've tried is the Pirelli Scorpion Pro. The diamond side ***** work great for corning, providing twice as much surface area and edges for grabbing.

Four of us went to Hatfield McCoy last September and everyone but me had TrackMaster II rear tires. They all unanimously did not care for it on the mostly hardpack and rocks there, maybe leave it for the intermediate and softer loamy conditions.

I was running a Pirelli MT-16 rear and it was good in that terrain, but non-DOT. For a close approximation to a DOT MT-16 rear, take a look at the Metzler Unicross. I'm using this tire now and it's been a good, no nonsense, low drama tire that hooks up well in the stuff I ride, which is eastern woods, hardpack, clay, and some sand.

I did a hare scramble in June on a brand new MT-16 and the conditions were very tough, it had just rained a few days before, and the trails were in rough shape, lots of exposed wet roots, slick rocks, steep muddy climbs, along with some dry areas of loose dirt and loam. That tire hooked up like magic. I honestly couldn't believe I was able to find traction on some of those hills. Bummer about it being non-DOT, though. So I have an MT-16 mounted on my spare rim and that's the one I use when I'm going off-road only or for hare scrambles. Otherwise, I use my regular rim and it has the Unicross mounted and it's a pretty close approximation of the MT-16.

Also, I rarely run above 12psi, usually around 10. The lower pressure is great for traction as your tire will actually wrap around smaller rocks and roots providing phenomenal traction. Both the MT-16 and the Unicross are "tall" tires, so running a low pressure is fine and chance of pinch flat is low.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nobrakes; 08-11-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Brian, you work for one of the credit card companies don't you?!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What got edited?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

606 front washes out all the time... i took mine off and put on a bridgestone gritty ed.. its an awsome tire. Still trackmaster on rear.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
D606 rear and D908F on the front. Great combo in all conditions.
i second that.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default forget the dot tires

kenda washougal $99 out the door for a set from rocky mount

Quick Reply: Need better tires now !