Need battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Default Need battery

What's the best battery for the hard to start klx250..... The one that's in it now is from battery source made in china...it barely starts it before it kills it...once it's warmed up all it takes is a bump from the starter...but cold cranking I need all the battery I can get...thx

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Shorai Lithium batteries are very poplular. I have the smaller of the two recommended, but the bike is just a hard starter sometimes. Mine is anyway, and others post similar problems. My DRZ SM, in contrast, also has a shorai and starts first time, every time. It also sits outside, under a deck with a cover. Year round. I mention ALL this, because the battery may not be the issue with the starting problem.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

replacing the battery did nothing for my hard start (have a shorai lithium iron battery...it is the more expensive one too)....but, valve adjustment cured it all....before you start replacing the battery, do a valve check...

Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Sharai battery helped me with cold starts. Holds a higher charge than lead acid batterys.
Dan

Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 AM

The bikes a 2006 but only had 900 miles on it....still like new...it was hard to start when I bought it and figured I'd have to rebuild the carb....until I looked on this forum and saw we're its plagued by hard starts....I've read of drilling out the starting jet...pulling the factory cap of the low speed jet and setting it at 2.5 turns...all of which I may end up doing. But first I'd like to see if a good strong battery will help...the ones that's in it ain't much....the bike runs like a top after it warms up....I put some sea foam in the gas and using non ethanol gas....I have an idea the reason for the low miles was the hard starts...where's the best place buy batteries...thx

Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont want to steer you wrong, Iwould recomend drilling the starter jet first.

The shorai helped me turn the motor over when it was cold out. With the big bore, the lead acid only lasted a few tries before running low, if it was cold out.
Dan

Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Sharai battery helped me with cold starts. Holds a higher charge than lead acid batterys.
Dan
Which one are you using the small or larger one ?
My bike starts a little better since the valve check but still takes half a minute or so cold (not constant cranking). Don't know if I need the bigger one.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mcnutts
Which one are you using the small or larger one ?
My bike starts a little better since the valve check but still takes half a minute or so cold (not constant cranking). Don't know if I need the bigger one.
LFX14L2-BS12
I think it's the 'big" one. ?? $143 last April at RMATV

Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Shorai Battery...I installed one last year"I didn't need one"But glad I put one in...Lots of power n Amps..Plus small .Light..win win

Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike is an 09 the stock battery was failing when I bought the bike as the dealer must have let it go flat. With a tender I got 3 yrs out of it but it was always weak. I just replaced it with the cheapest battery I could get on ebay as I figured I'd get a fresh one that way. So $24.99 delivered to my door without exchange I got a battery that is much better than my old one ever was.

Quick Reply: Need battery