Need '09 fork info

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need '09 fork info

Hi, I'm an old guy (73) and ride my bikes mostly on gravel roads and pavement. I don't do any trails anymore and like my suspension very supple to run smoothly over the washboard found on most gravel roads.

I would like to set my front forks on the '09 KLX250S I just bought to minimum spring preload. I've done a lot of searching but can't find too much info on the '09 S forks. I see mention of a spacer down in the forks but can't find any clear pics or fiche to show just how these forks are set up. Does the spacer control preload or is it for reducing the travel of the '09 forks?

I'm also short and will use lowering links on the rear with minimum spring preload. I've slipped the fork tubes up 3/4" but can't go any higher until I get a riser to move the handlebars up some.

Info as to links or pics of a disassembled fork appreciated.

Thanks, L D

Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

not a good idea..too soft and it'll be unstable at speed...get it set for your weight...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm running an SV650 and DR650 set up like I describe. At my light weight of 130 lbs. no problems with the very supple suspension over many miles. Thanks for your reply, I'm not racing the bikes although I will run them very fast on gravel or pavement. They both handle very well for my weight and style of riding. :-) I've never experienced any instability.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you're the first one to need softer springs. Most of us are after stiffer ones.

Try the search function, there are a couple of threads with pics of the internals of the fork.

So there must be a few riders who match the stock springs perfectly.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ol'klx-er,

Some years ago when I weighed a good bit more and rode off road I too would have been after stiffer springs but those days are past...... LOL!

With 5W fork oil, minimum preload, stock progressive springs from a faired model SV650 and fork damper tubes with the compression holes drilled out for 30% more area, a rear shock from a GSXR750 which is fully adjustable, has modded shim pack (lightened) and fitted with a 300 lb. spring my SV650 handles gravel road washboard very well.

My DR650 with a DRZ400S rear shock which has a lighter spring and is fully adjustable, front forks with minimum preload and 5W fork oil also does mighty nice on gravel and paved roads.

So I want to lower and use minimum preload on the KLX250S forks also. Lowering links on the rear to lower and soften the rate there.

I have searched a great deal and haven't found the right thread for pics of the KLX250S forks, will try searching some more but if anyone knows where the thread is I would like to have the link. Thanks

L D

Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thinairflyer
Hi, I'm an old guy (73) and ride my bikes mostly on gravel roads and pavement. I don't do any trails anymore and like my suspension very supple to run smoothly over the washboard found on most gravel roads.

I would like to set my front forks on the '09 KLX250S I just bought to minimum spring preload. I've done a lot of searching but can't find too much info on the '09 S forks. I see mention of a spacer down in the forks but can't find any clear pics or fiche to show just how these forks are set up. Does the spacer control preload or is it for reducing the travel of the '09 forks?

I'm also short and will use lowering links on the rear with minimum spring preload. I've slipped the fork tubes up 3/4" but can't go any higher until I get a riser to move the handlebars up some.

Info as to links or pics of a disassembled fork appreciated.

Thanks, L D
My 09 fork spiked really bad so I had to put new valves in it, not softer springs. The valves don't let enough oil to flow through on fast hits like potholes. No more sore wrists. Lighter oil may help.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Softer springs will allow the bike to ride lower in it's travel. Unfortunately, that will make it miss the plush portion of the suspensiion which occurs high in the travel.

The right spring is the one that allows you to meet sag recommendations. Beyond that, you're gonna need some valving changes because our stock forks can't move oil fast enough.

You're right on the minimum preload, because preload has to be overcome before the fork can compress. But a heavier spring will decrease your preload (that which is necessary to meet sag) - not softer.

Need to think valving not springrate here.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

First the right spring for rider weight (load) then whatever changes are needed for the "shock" to properly control the oscillations of said spring; shim stack, oil weight, etc.

IMHO.