My Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I've been on both sides of the "add-ons don't add value" debate. Try to buy a bike with farkles, and the seller won't budge on the inflated price because of all the money he has in it. Try to sell a bike a with farkles at a higher-than-book price and everyone wants to haggle. I can see both sides.

I asked the question of what's it worth to see what you all thought about that issue. In truth, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay me. I'll buy a bike with farkles if it looks well-maintained and the parts were added correctly. If talking to the seller reveals that they think an open-end wrench is a kinky sexual position, I'll walk.

I knew it wasn't worth much before I started this project. The KBB retail value of a 2006 KLX250S in excellent condition is only $2565. I threw another $800 or so at it, but now it's basically a near-new bike. It kept me busy all winter, so to me, it's money well spent. With the exception of the bottom-end of the engine, there isn't a screw, nut, bolt or spoke nipple on the bike that I haven't touched.

The only reason I'd sell my KLX is if I found something else that did all the things it does as good or better. I have other bikes that do certain things better, but nothing else I have is the swiss army knife that the KLX is.

She will get ridden for sure, but I have another bike to ride in nasty rock gardens where radiator guards would be a good idea. This bike is now officially my fire road/occasional commuter/backup bike.

One thing is for sure. She's sure to be a conversation starter among those in-the-Kawasaki-know at the dual sport events.

Last edited by mustang; 03-13-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

To the T this is what I would like to do with my 2006 klx. Just dont have the funds to drop into the bike for wheels, powder coat, zeta guards, etc. Only thing I would change is the rear fender/rack.

Bike looks great, very impressive work.

What kind of seat/seat cover did you put on? I cant stand the green on the stock one. Also where are people getting the black wheels?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I wanna see the klx in person now mike! Have to make a trip up to see you.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
I'm just curious. What do you guys think I could get out my bike if I sold it? Not that I want to, but after all that work, I wonder what it's worth. Every bearing was replaced, the forks rebuilt, all new rubber, new brakes and front brake hose, and a new chain and sprockets. I've got 2 sets of wheels, 2 seats, 2 sets of plastic (1 set brand new). Add in the big bore kit, pumper carb, full exhaust, Clarke tank, plus all the powder coating and anodizing. I still have every stock part ever taken off, every receipt for the bike, and it's entire life is photo-documented. With just shy of 5500 miles on the engine, what I could I reasonably expect to get out it?

Again, I'm just asking out of curiousity.
You have made a truly one of a kind MC, one thing in your life that is just like you like it.
I'd consider it time well spent. If you do other things with that time those
activities could have cost you a lot more. Time in the shop has a lot of value that you have gained.
Enjoy, Tom

Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Guys that build an old muscle car, a custom bike, a highly modified dirt bike, anything like that, they dont do it for the money. If you just wanted something like that yea its probably cheaper to go just buy one. You never get your money back out of something like that. All the stuff I do to my vehicles is because i am a gear head and i have to monkey with things. Its in my blood, got it from my dad. Everything i own i have to make "mine" I cant stand having a vehicle that looks exactly like it came new. I dont do it cause it needed fixed, i did it because i like doing it. If i had the space/time/money to do something like this i would love to.

Very well done man.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SnowmanSimon
To the T this is what I would like to do with my 2006 klx. Just dont have the funds to drop into the bike for wheels, powder coat, zeta guards, etc. Only thing I would change is the rear fender/rack.

Bike looks great, very impressive work.

What kind of seat/seat cover did you put on? I cant stand the green on the stock one. Also where are people getting the black wheels?
Thanks man. Understand that I didn't just take a bone-stock KLX and turn it into what it is now over the winter. It took 6 years of adding goodies to get to this point.

I thought about changing the rear fender, but I didn't want to hack up my frame or lose the rack. Everything on the bike can be taken off, and the bike returned to stock.

The seat foam is a Guts Racing Soft, and the seat cover was custom made by Guts Racing. I modified the seat foam to make it wider where I sit, then sent the foam and my base to Guts for them to make a cover. They didn't charge any extra to do this, just the shipping.

I sent out my stock Excel Takasago rims to be anodized black. Those are my "dirt" wheels in the background. The set of wheels on the bike are KLX250 hubs with black Warp 9 rims.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Guys that build an old muscle car, a custom bike, a highly modified dirt bike, anything like that, they dont do it for the money. If you just wanted something like that yea its probably cheaper to go just buy one. You never get your money back out of something like that.
+1 I wish when I was younger that instead of building and restoring Mustangs, I would have gotten myself a drug habit. It would have been much cheaper in the long run.

Anybody can go out and buy a KTM, Husaberg, Husky, etc. and tear up the woods, and judging by the sea of orange out there, that's what most people do. Personally, I like taking a less-than-perfect bike and making it better. Said another way, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
+1 I wish when I was younger that instead of building and restoring Mustangs, I would have gotten myself a drug habit. It would have been much cheaper in the long run.

Anybody can go out and buy a KTM, Husaberg, Husky, etc. and tear up the woods, and judging by the sea of orange out there, that's what most people do. Personally, I like taking a less-than-perfect bike and making it better. Said another way, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.
Exactly.... Don't tell anyone i said this, but a lot of guys buy really good bikes to make up for their lack of riding skill. I dont need a $10,000 husaberg to ride fast and have fun in the woods.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

^EMS, I swear we're related....

Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
^EMS, I swear we're related....
We are all brothers here, some closer than others.

Quick Reply: My Winter Project