My Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeaaaaaahhh Buddy! Looks great in black.

Your bike didnt look tooooo long in the tooth before you tore it down, at least in pictures.

Really sharp now.

can you give us an idea of the expense incurred to do this makeover?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice project.
I see a "guts" sticker in the first pic. Do you have a guts seat? If so, did you get "tall", what foam density do you have, and what are your thoughts? I have "tall" and really like it (I'm 6'). But I should have ordered the medium foam instead of soft.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Nice Mike. Cant wait to see it in person. It looks better than brand new.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you have it back together and running? I don't know for sure, but if you look at the picture of the carb it almost looks like the needle is not installed correctly. Not lined up with the jet hole below. Cannot really tell forsure by that picture, but it looks like it might be cockeyed in there.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot everyone. No, my bike wasn't all beat up before I started this project, but it certainly wasn't new looking either. This bike has spent 90% of its life offroad, so that's to be expected.

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Very nice project.
I see a "guts" sticker in the first pic. Do you have a guts seat? If so, did you get "tall", what foam density do you have, and what are your thoughts? I have "tall" and really like it (I'm 6'). But I should have ordered the medium foam instead of soft.
I have 2 seats for the bike - the stock seat and the Guts racing seat. I wanted a seat for long-distance riding like a Renazco or Sargent, but didn't want to spend the money.

I left the stock seat alone and got another stock seat off eBay to hack up. I orginally bought a Guts Racing seat foam in Standard Height, Soft Compound. I'm 5'9" and don't need anything taller. The Guts seat foam was even narrower than stock. After talking with Guts, they sent me an extra seat foam for free. It was a blem (the front ripped coming out of the mold). I took the extra foam and cut it down the middle lengthwise, then glued the pieces to each side of the existing seat foam. I used a 4" grinder with sanding discs to shape the foam the way I wanted it. Then I sent the whole thing back to Guts, who made a custom cover for it. I don't remember exactly what it all cost, but it was somewhere around $125.

So when riding offroad, I put the stock seat on because it's narrower and I'm standing often anyway. When riding onroad or doing long dual sport rides, I put the Guts seat on. It's width makes it more comfortable for sitting for long periods of time.

Even the Soft seat foam is pretty firm. I mean, you sit on the seat, and not in it. I wouldn't want anything harder.

As for the whole project cost, I don't exactly know what the breakdown is at the moment, but I've spent around $500. I still need new tires and tubes, so that will go up to about $700 before all is said and done.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
Do you have it back together and running? I don't know for sure, but if you look at the picture of the carb it almost looks like the needle is not installed correctly. Not lined up with the jet hole below. Cannot really tell forsure by that picture, but it looks like it might be cockeyed in there.
That's not the needle, that's the accelerator pump squirter. That carb is a Mikuni TM36-68, and not the stock CV carb. The slide is closed in that picture, with the needle all the way down into the needle jet.

Nope, I don't have her all back together yet. I'm still debating on what to do with the headlight, if anything. I've also got to get new tires. The main thing I need is time to work on it!

------------
EDIT: After looking closer at that picture, I see what you mean about the needle. You can just barely see it under the slide and it looks off-center due to the shadows. That's just an illusion. When I took the carb out, I tore it down and cleaned everything, and I'm positive the needle is in correctly. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though!

Last edited by mustang; 01-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Clean sano shop you have.

Black rims look sharp on your bike. Nice work your doing.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

what black rims are those?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
what black rims are those?
Those are the stock rims. I just had them anodized black and re-laced them.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...oration-31657/

Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
Those are the stock rims. I just had them anodized black and re-laced them.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...oration-31657/
is that similar to powdercoating

Quick Reply: My Winter Project