My Upgrade To HID Lighting - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb Upgrade To HID Lighting Using *Stock Headlight* - Part 1

Hi Folks,

New member. Been lurking for a while after purchasing a new 09 KLX250S couple of months ago. In the process of modding to fit my needs. Thought I'd share my experience installing a 55W DDM Tuning HID system which retains high/low beam capability. Originally designed for high-end automotive use, turns outs to be nicely suitable/adaptable for motorcycles. Incredibly affordable and high quality components. On an 09 KLX minor "non-invasive" and reversible mod's required, not rocket science. (warning - bitching about overpriced PIAA & Trailtech HID bike lights probable).

Upcoming posts will have less text and more pictures.

Caveat: Unless a reflector was originally designed for an HID bulb, efficiency and changes to beam pattern(s) is an unknown, until you stick the HID bulb in and turn it on. Results range from "OK-maybe-better-than-halogen" to "Totally Freakin' Awesome!"

In my 09's headlight housing I'd rate the results as ... hah, you'll have to suffer through upcoming posts to get the answer.

------------------ Options, Outputs, $$$ ------------------

Stock 60/55W halogen = 1300 Lumens . $5 - $15
High/low beam capability. Suboptimal color temperature. Cheap, readily available. Better than kerosene lantern or candles.

55W DDM HID = 4500 Lumens. $52+shipping.
That's no typo ... fifty-two bucks including the bulb! Of course I was skeptical. But after holding the goodies in my sweaty anxious hands I can tell you quality is top notch, plus you can talk to real live people with real technical knowledge. Now unimpressed with ridiculously overpriced PIAA, Trailtech HID stuff.

High/low beam capability retained, stock headlight housing used. Choice of output color temperature (5000 Degrees K= "sunlight white" = max Lumens/watt).

40W Trailtech 4" HID = 3235 Lumens. $450.
No choice of output color temperature. Spot or flood pattern only = buy/mount two and they're not exactly compact.

30W Trailtech 2.6" HID = 2775 Lumens. $350
No choice of output color temperature. Spot or flood pattern only = buy/mount two.

25W PIAA 2.6" Cross Country HID = 2125 Lumens. $500
No choice of output color temperature. Spot pattern only, sold as a pair so maybe only one set needed.

------------------ Warranty ------------------

DDM: lifetime warranty on everything including the bulb! :thumbsup:
TrailTech: lifetime warranty ... except ... the bulb, 90 days and they ain't cheap.
PIAA: ??? couldn't find a definitive answer at their website.

------------------ Convenience, Mounting, Bulb Replacement, Reliability ------------------

DDM: As stock headlight housing is used, and due to nature of system install, can replace HID bulb with original halogen bulb (stowed on bike) in 10 - 15 minutes. On the trail, without contorted origami "un-wiring", practiced it my garage just for grins.

Not "mount & go" and/or "everything's in the light housing".

Stock headlight housing is located in about a damage free zone as any.

PIAA, TrailTech: Only accept unit specific HID bulb and/or bulb/reflector assemblies, no sticking a generic halogen in these to get you by.

No matter where you mount them more prone to damage than where stock headlight is located IMO.

In reality, replacing a burn-out HID bulb is an infrequent event. HID's average 2000+ hrs life vs Halogen's 750 hr avg. life. On the flip side HID systems require ignitors, ballasts, control circuitry etc. which inherently mean more points of failure. Like most electrical stuff, if it works for a week it'll probably work for a long time. Mine will get a dozen hours of on-time before I'm comfortable heading off into some dark jungle region by myself.

Then again I have ... "Plan B" = put stock halogen bulb back in ... "Plan C" = use small round aux. driving light (auto store cheapo unit, mounted on bike, wires run but not connected) and lastly ... "Plan D" = LED hiking "headlamp" stored in tool kit.

"I admit, I'm a wuss .. I mortally fear deer, elk, assorted large mammals, invisible spring loaded tree limbs, magically appearing ruts wider than front wheel diameter, stupid pedestrians in dark clothing and bicyclists with NO lights while I'm zipping along at probably too fast speeds."

Last edited by LongmontKLXr; 12-04-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-03-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Good post this.

I'm not a patient man.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

im all ears. want to do this to my bike too.