My turn!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My turn!

Yes I'm new on here, in case you were wondering. After 13 years of marriage and my spouse having purchased 5 bikes over the years (Only two remain in our stable) it's my turn for a bike of my own.
We went to our local dealership last week in search of a KLX 650. It's the end of the season of course, and to have gotten one would have meant ordering. I demand instant gratification when it comes to shopping.
They had an older KLX with 3400 miles on it. Or there was the brand new one that was all black.

It went home with us after the perequisite hours of haggling and paperwork.

I wondered if I made a mistake when I realized top speed would be about 80 with the machine stock.

Then the smarter half backed things up and said, "You've been out of the saddle for 6 years. That's really all you need."

After only 5 days in the saddle of my black beauty, I'm in love.

I have been riding this thing 17 miles back and forth between home and town, as a commuter bike. I can get her up to good enough highway speeds, and can also easily navigate the terrible roads in post- flood Minot.

I also (VERY SHEEPISHLY) low- speed dumped it my second or third day of riding. I was able to pick her up unassisted. That right there was all it took to convince me I had made the right decision.

I love this bike.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Awesome. Good to hear. I love my KLX also.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice, nothing wrong with a smaller bike. Who needs to go faster than 80 on a dirt bike anyways?

Throw a pipe, opened up airbox, and jet kit on it and then you will really have a smile on your face. These bikes come alive with some simple modding.

Enjoy

Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike. You can do a lot on these "little bikes"
Dan

Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

congrats on the bike. just cus the bike only has 250cc's doesnt mean its weak by any means. happy riding and make sure you wait up for you hubby when the trail gets tight

Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Awesome! Welcome to the forums, and the greatest dual sport ever built! I have to say that because I own one and in fact bought the first one on the Peninsula back in November of 05, I had to order it and wait a month. TORTURE!!! Anyway have fun and tell us what the other half rides.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

My spouse has I think it's a 97 VMax. He also has a FZR I think 650? which hasn't been ridden in over a year, but he is in the process of getting it back in riding condition. Not sure if we are going to keep it or try to sell it.
Haven't my KLX off road yet- mainly purchased it as a commuter bike- but some of the roads in my area are bad enough to warrant a more rugged bike. Off the main road into town, however, most of the roads are dirt and gravel, and I really need to get out there and explore them before the snow starts to fly in a few weeks.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

About to be time for the first oil change too I insisted that when the time comes that he let me be in on the maintenance for it instead of him doing everything.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Good for you, I love helping people work on their bikes. Everyone that rides should know the basics.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations on your bike. I love mine too, you will have allot of fun with this bike. Oil change is a bit tricky, you have to tilt the bike to not have that darn spring fall out . I use husband as "bike tilter".

Quick Reply: My turn!