my review: KLX vs CRF vs WRR vs DRZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default my review: KLX vs CRF vs WRR vs DRZ

my review(take with a grain of salt) as I have now owned all 4 dual sport bikes.

1. KLX250S (2009 &2013)
So as you can see the kawi was fun enough for me to buy 2 of them brand new.Power mods included full FMF pc4,dynojet kit,snorkel removed,uni air filter.First DS bike I ever had..loads of fun and peppy enough for a while...

pros: great looking bike
good power through ENTIRE rev range (see crf)
good ergos

Cons: worst starting bike EVER(even rejetted)even at 55degrees or warmer
suspension pretty weak(fine for on road however)
msrp

2. CRF250L
bought brand new for $4500..power mods were FMF pc4,power commander,uni filter..the Honda bone stock was a way better performer than the Kawi stock(FI?) however after modding both of them..the Honda didnt improve as much as the KLX..The kawi had more top end where as the CRF puttered out..Honda had good low end at all times.Honda wins for people staying bone stock..modded the klx smokes it with a BB kit im sure.

pros: price
FI starts up nicely
good bottom end
comfy,low seat height
suspension slightly better

cons: weight(same as drz400)
top end fizzles out vs klx

3. WR250R
To me the odd duck of a bike in this category..nice suspension,good top end,crappy low end, high price tag,most off road-able..power mods..FMF pc4, powercommander,exup removed..The yamaha is great quality..but you have to rev the hell out of it,stay in higher rpm's.high seating position.

pros: suspension greatest
good top end
most off road worthy
good looking machine
FI starts right up
cons: PRICE
non-existant bottom end
requires most smog part removal

4. DRZ400s(currently own)
bike is bone stock powerwise..carburated but starts right up like FI. ok suspension,400cc with weight of CRF, great torque through entire rev range.(i know unfair power advantage)bought this 2005 used for $2200 and honestly I wish it were the first dual sport I ever bought.It bone stock is better than the 250's modded(again 400cc)..

pros: power through entire rev range
price..same as WRR
fires right up like it has FI

cons: 5 speed(doesnt bother me yet)
outdated looking as can be
not heavy,but weight is up high

So my conclusion is this...

KLX..great choice for engine modding(big bore kit)
CRF..best choice for someone leaving bone stock at $4500 new
WRR..great bike with need of a different motor
DRZ..best power stock or modded(400cc)..same $$ or less than new WRR(250cc)

Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Re starting on the KLX, as far as I know, my '12 KLX is bone stock, and it starts at the first touch of the button hot or cold (with choke when cold, of course) as long as I don't give it any throttle. Could it be that your mods had something to do with the hard starting?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never experienced any starting issues either but I've heard others have. Maybe the newers ones after 2012 have addressed this. Any '12 or '13 owners have starting issues?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wwalkersd
Re starting on the KLX, as far as I know, my '12 KLX is bone stock, and it starts at the first touch of the button hot or cold (with choke when cold, of course) as long as I don't give it any throttle. Could it be that your mods had something to do with the hard starting?
you got a good one then! seems many people have the difficult start klx wether its bone stock or rejetted..below 40 degrees outside and there was no starting it..even in the summer it was a pain in the rump.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice review. I made the right choice!

And mine was a hard starter until I put shims in that put exhaust cam closer to it's open limit. Before that the clearance was much closer to the tighter side. Right after I did it was the first time I ever started the bike without choke, no matter the weather, it always needed choke to start, at least for a second.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I've never experienced any starting issues either but I've heard others have. Maybe the newers ones after 2012 have addressed this. Any '12 or '13 owners have starting issues?
My 2012 starts instantly every time.
It did not start as quickly before the performance mods but even stock it did start with no trouble.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never had a problem starting cold. Before or after mods. Whether it is going to sit for one day or one week, I always shut fuel off and run it dry. Only starting issues I ever have are after a crash and it stalls out. Takes a minute or two for the flooded carb to clean out after its upright again.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pine Barrens
Whether it is going to sit for one day or one week, I always shut fuel off and run it dry.
everyone that has had issues and does this .....seems to fix it

Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

my 351 kit helped my starting problems

Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I am surprised that you thought the CRF had better suspension. the CRF doesn't have adjustable suspension like the KLX does.

Quick Reply: my review: KLX vs CRF vs WRR vs DRZ