My rear fender ellimination / signal tuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:02 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

the short fender imo, looks downright hideous.
oh, about the sticker comment, chill dude- it was just a question. it's your bike. everyone's so edgy around here.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I could see that working. An Edge (or similar) UFO taillight, some slim stick-on turn signals, and a custom bracket to hold the plate. It'd have to be a beefy bracket setup, though. I think that the debris-slinging would still be a big problem, since the plate and light would be so far up on the bike, with nothing to catch it.

So far so good, on my setup. I need to put some felt or rubber on top of the taillight, it clunks against the black plastic on bigger bumps. Nothing hardcore, definately not enough to break it, but it gets annoying.

Ninja-edit:

09KLX: Yeah now that I'm looking at it more, you're right, I think the bike looks awkward with the shorter overall length. And I was just joshin' with ya, mate, I don't have any beef with you. Its cool you don't like my stickers, nobody says you have to.

Last edited by cliffsta; 11-17-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

It was MS paint I did the picture in actually :-) .. Just simple copy n paiste the backround into where I want it.

Anyway. It kinda reminds me of the look of those electric bikes. It would look much better if it was 2-4" longer IMO. But just something different. I'm am the type to enjoy something different sometimes a little out of the ordinary.

Oh, you're setup looks good by the way.. Ha, forgot to mention that.

Last edited by green242; 11-18-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Cliffsta,

Thanks so much for this post ... i completed my fender chop and signal tuck today. I'm going to take some pics before I re-assemble. I'm also expecting delivery of some 46 form springs from motopro tommorrow. Once again, thanks for this post and your pics ... it made this mod so easy to approach, and I think I was able to make it a little simpler as a result of your efforts ... I'll post some pics in the next few days. This is the probably the most dramatic mod you can make to a KLX250S .. later ...

Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad my write-up was useful to you. As I've said before, most guys just hack it half-assedly and it looks halfassed... if you take the time to cut along the lines you can get rid of pretty much all the whalefin. As for the signal tuck... it just made sense to me, to keep them from getting booger'ed up when you drop it.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Great job on the project. That looks almost as good as the one on my 06....almost.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

My first impression of the 09 KLX 250s at the dealer..."Oh man sick little Dual Sport!" I'm coming around to the back "OH MY GOD WTF IS THAT WHALE TAIL! It's like seeing Jessica Alba with a rat tail hanging from her ***!"

Hmmmmmm Jessica Alba...

Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

mmmmmmmmm +1 on Jessica

Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Cliffsta looks good.About a week into owning my KLX I had roached that donkey d#$k of a rear fender. I cut mine down exactly like you did, except I didn't use any licence plate holder at all. I just drilled two new holes through the licence plate and the fender. It's been fine for almost a year now. I think it looks much better, I don't know where Kawasaki got the idea to put that ridiculous fender on in the first place. The long fender may catch more mud but it also must catch more rocks too, mine split almost all the way up to the tail light.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I hacked mine off the same way too, second time around. I didn't think about the turn signal tuck, but I may have to do it.
The first I hack I did, I tried to use the stock holes in the thin part of the plastic, not thinking about it's strength. I got back from my first ride and my license plate was missing. So if anyone else is going to do it, make sure that you use the meat of the plastic.
The only better looking mod is the Edge, but I'll take the free hack job over paying for the edge. There are other parts to spend money on!
Kawasaki has to put that ugly fender on there by law, all stock street legal bikes have them. It reduces water spray and catches rocks when you are on the street. Just like cars are required to have mud flaps. Some sport bikes are getting better about making ones that don't look so bad because they know everybody hacks them anyway. Hopefully that will trickle down to the klx someday.

Quick Reply: My rear fender ellimination / signal tuck