My Rack Has Arrived -- Nomadic Racks

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Default Fender Mounting Bolts

Hi Justin,
I have a lime green 250S with your rack installed and it looks like original equipment. It fit perfectly. I wanted to retain my tool kit but I didn't want it to occupy needed rack space so I only used the rear connection holes in the pack and let the front "float".

I have one major problem. The socket head bolts that connect the rack to the fender protrude significantly above the rack and will rapidly wear through anything bun-geed over them i.e laptop bag, grocery bag/s etc. I replaced them with pan head bolts which will wear less but nevertheless destroy my laptop bag. I'm thinking of taking the rack to a machine shop and having the holes countersunk so that i may use flattop bolts Another solution may be to grind off enough material so that the pan head bolts will be flush with the rack top. Do you have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some help.
Ed F.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Nomadic, do you have any more racks available?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

He seems to be selling them through Ebay. He doesn't have any listed at the moment. Here is a link... http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant...rmrsZ1QQ_fromZ

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

yup, I searched eBay already before I posted. Thanks for the link. I am going to add him as a favorite seller.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdForsythe
Hi Justin,
I have a lime green 250S with your rack installed and it looks like original equipment. It fit perfectly. I wanted to retain my tool kit but I didn't want it to occupy needed rack space so I only used the rear connection holes in the pack and let the front "float".

I have one major problem. The socket head bolts that connect the rack to the fender protrude significantly above the rack and will rapidly wear through anything bun-geed over them i.e laptop bag, grocery bag/s etc. I replaced them with pan head bolts which will wear less but nevertheless destroy my laptop bag. I'm thinking of taking the rack to a machine shop and having the holes countersunk so that i may use flattop bolts Another solution may be to grind off enough material so that the pan head bolts will be flush with the rack top. Do you have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some help.
Ed F.
Fit a flat plastic base to the top of the rack. A lot of people us one of those cheap plastic chopping boards, cut to size.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

The racks are up for grabs again fellas!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Yahoo! Got mine -- I hope.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Fitted a Metal Mule box to my Nomadic rack.

Might not be to everyones taste, but it keeps my stuff secure and dry!

Attached Thumbnails My Rack Has Arrived -- Nomadic Racks-box.jpg  
Old 06-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Fit a flat plastic base to the top of the rack. A lot of people us one of those cheap plastic chopping boards, cut to size.
Hi,
Good idea but I solved the problem by substituting Oval head SS bolts for the socket heads. Then I used my trusty Dremel to grind off about 1/16" from the rack. Now the bolt heads are flush or slightly below the rack surface. Looks great.
Ed F.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on grinding the rack down. It is a great rack, but this is a design flaw. Anything strapped to the rack will not sit flush or will have holes worn through it in short order.

I ordered one of the racks as soon as they were up for sale again; got it in one day! Went on the bike in about 5 minutes. Fits great, looks stock. I will be grinding down the protruding bolt holes shortly. Once that its done I have a two gallon gas container that fits the rack like it was made for it that will strap neatly into place.

Craig

Quick Reply: My Rack Has Arrived -- Nomadic Racks