My Rack Has Arrived -- Nomadic Racks

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Punkinduro09 wrote about a 3.7 gas tank where can I find one? is it an easy fit? more info please, GOTTA HAVE ONE !!!! Thanks for any info available Bob Billen

Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you still able to take pillions with this rack? Not that I do on a regular basis, but its still nice to be able to...

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Is pillions like hemoroids?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

nice rack, but I think they missed an opportunity to supply an optional third crossbar where the toolbag goes. If you don't want to use the toolbag, you just have a bunch of open area with the fender underneath. Looks like an optional bolted on third crossbar would have been a good idea imo.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

You know I really contemplated placing a third rung on the rack. The more I visualized how the third rung would affect A, cargo, and B, rider comfort, I decided against it for the latter. Imagine heading down a whooped out section of road, or needing to get your butt as far backward as any rider would have to do to compensate for steep drop-offs. Now imagine how the third (closer) rung would affect this. IMO I wouldn't want to get bucked in the *** with a steel tube

Also, the lack of the third rung creates a sort of cradle for cargo if the owner does not want to reinstall the tool pouch.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nomadic Cycle Racks
You know I really contemplated placing a third rung on the rack. The more I visualized how the third rung would affect A, cargo, and B, rider comfort, I decided against it for the latter. Imagine heading down a whooped out section of road, or needing to get your butt as far backward as any rider would have to do to compensate for steep drop-offs. Now imagine how the third (closer) rung would affect this. IMO I wouldn't want to get bucked in the *** with a steel tube

Also, the lack of the third rung creates a sort of cradle for cargo if the owner does not want to reinstall the tool pouch.
wow, talking to the horse themself here.
Well, being an ex-MXer- I can tell you that in order for anyone's fanny to be that far back they'd have to be around 7-8' tall. Also, when leaning back on the seat your dairy aire is not that low to hit on the rack. That's not going to happen. And B, you could've made it an option. Using the PLASTIC fender (which vibrates and becomes brittle and weak over time) as a "cradle", puts stress on the fender and it also creates an area where things could slide to the side or off completely. If it were me and I was building it, I'd at least make it an option; one where the buyer can maybe choose if they want the third rung or not. Make it completely bolt on/off with a simple hex head or something. If I were in the market for a rack, yours is very nice I will say. But I wouldn't buy it because of the wasted open space and no option to have a third bar. Like I said you have a very nice product and I give you props for coming to online forums where your product is talked about. If more companies/manufacturers did that and listened to the buyers of their products, alot less companies would go belly-up. Nice job.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Nomadic,
As an owner of the rack, I think it's just about perfect. I like the fact that I can keep the tool pouch right where it was. The ONLY thing I would like to have seen included with the rack would be black plastic tube covers that could be snapped into the side mount brackets. This would keep dirt and water out of the tubes where the hex bolts go into. Great job overall! Fit and finish are outstanding.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I agree it does look nice. Plastic caps are a good idea. But what if I don't want to carry my tool bag? Shouldn't I have the option to have that area filled in with another bolt on rung? Bent at an angle even to stay out of tallish riders' ***** on "dropoffs"? I'm just sayin'. For someone who wants a FULL rack, that area is a turn-off since it's empty. I've seen some of the stuff people pile on their bikes. The added rung would add big time lateral stability but also require more precise manufacturing since it wouldn't be as spreadable to attach to the sidepanel bolt holes.
dead horse now.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you for all the valued opinions regarding the build of the new rack. I heed every opinion and consider everyone's information valuable in the design of every rack made, and to be made. When designing a new product, the approach I take is aimed for the mass market appeal. Though I realize I will not be able to please everybody with the final designs, I try my best, given my experience in riding, fabricating, and those opinions given before hand to at least hit a high percentage of satisfied buyers.

These were my thoughts when studying the KLX mounting locations and body lines at the shop:

First and foremost the rack is intended for the user, those who will probably remount the nice little tool kit, but may do some more hard-core riding. I realized many owners may not remount the tool pouch and this DOES leave an unsightly open area for a load, but it also serves as a concave spot to place items more inclined to slide or roll. Plain and simple it makes the rack more versatile for mounting objects of different size or shape (just be sensible what you load considering it IS just a fender beneath) . A third rung would be great, I'll look into what a bolt-on rung would take to fab and consider it as an option. I couldn't justify welding a third rung in place though for this reason...I have had numerous occasions where in my off roading experience it has required me to lean back as far as possible to prevent the front end being stuck and going over the bars. Motocross is a different sport than riding woods or desert, where many KLX owners will ride. Sometimes this type of riding requires the rider to use unusual body language to pilot a bike over rough terrain such as logs, rocks or drop-offs. But even so, 09KLXowner, if you had a steel tube directly behind the back of your seat you would know it going through a whoop section at the track. The idea of a bruised tail bone didn't seem appealing, that's all.

I have come to the conclusion through fabricating many style racks that it just isn't possible to please 100% of the potential buyers and purchasers of the racks but I try and come close. Someone will always have their opinion on what should be, or could have been done but this is what makes the world go 'round and helps products improve! .

Oh and I DO have black tubing plugs which match the black textured powder coat nicely. I quit sending these out because of a change in production on the seat mounts. The mounts now have a thicker wall and the plugs are a pistol to press in, and even more difficult to remove when need be. If anyone wants them I can ship them out. Thanks all!

Last edited by Nomadic Cycle Racks; 01-22-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: desiring to fulfill my obligation to satisfying prospective purchasers
Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dude and "empty space" can be filled with any bag or whatever. Its all good. Do you think a trip bag will care if there is space between the seat and the first rung? NOT!

Quick Reply: My Rack Has Arrived -- Nomadic Racks