My project 351 SM with pix and dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Wild will, any chance of seeing a pic of your bike again. BOTM winner is always worth a updated pic hopefully....

Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Wild will, any chance of seeing a pic of your bike again. BOTM winner is always worth a updated pic hopefully....
Plan on it, adding some more goodies and black plastics.

Haven't been around for a while.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by wild will
Just got the new cdi.

Great job Ray!

Product is top notch! Service and shipping as well.

Cost me about $290 with the pclink and shipping.

Comes with simple directions and everything need to mount it, including new screws and ties for the pigtail wires. Has nice added solid mounts, and looks water tight.

To change from 25* stock map to 35* aussie map is done by adding a short looped wire to the one pigtail. Stock map you just keep the dummy plug on it to keep out dirt.

I also added the pclink for custom mapping. That pigtail wire on the cdi also has a dummy plug to keep dirt out, so the cdi looks pretty durable to dirt and water.

Gonna try out the 35* map first, will get back with results after.

When the weather finally breaks taking to dyno again to play with different maps, see if I can get 35hp?
Fantastic. Watching this closely to see what the results are. If you do get to the dyno, would be great if you could do a direct comparison of US vs AUS mode, everything else equal. Not too many mods that have the potential to increase both power and fuel economy. In regard to the economy though, those with the stock carb may benefit more since it has the TPS - if the unit takes a load parameter.

I'll take an educated guess that you can only have 2 mappings in the unit - stock and one other. I suspect that once you do a custom mapping, it overwrites the AUS map that comes with it. Have you gotten into it enough to verify this?
The jumper wire is a nice touch. Should make it simple to wire a handlebar switch to change between the two maps if anyone wanted to. You could label the switch "Normal" and "Turbo". Seriously though, that would make it easy to adjust for 87 or 91 octane depending on what was available, if you pushed the advance closer to the limit for 91.
Always great to have options like this, no matter what your ultimate goal is.