My new 09 - 0km

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My new 09 - 0km

ORIGINAL: durden

Oh for sure im going to get the mods going. I want to excersize the engine before i think of power mods, but for sure i want to get the Acerbis or Clarke Tank. Im not sure if there are ones that will fit the 09.

Before I do that though I have some questions for you guys. I did my first oil change tonight (after 170km). The Oil was brown grey and clowdy color and had a few metal bits settled (not many and nothing to be alarmed about). My old KLR was easy to change the oil, just pop out the filter then pop in a new one, however the KLX is spring loaded and left me a bit baffled about how to easily put the filter spring back in. The owners manual just says "dont forget the spring", but not how the heck you get it in then place the filter in. After thinking for upwards of 1 minute, i just ended up having someone lean the bike over (ok its new I didnt want to lay it down yet), then i set the spring in without it falling over and placed the filter in hoping the spring seat'ed properly.

Seriously, this is a 2009, please dont tell me the bike has to be leaned over to seat the spring, i must be missing something painfully obvious!?

Also, I know some people have mounted the Acerbis handgaurds, im going to tackle that this week, but there doesnt seem to be much exposed bar to properly mount. Was there anything outside the standard install anyone had to do.

Thanks for the help, so far im loving this ride. Did some light offroading today, and loved it, then I went over to a friends house who has a Honda XL650, he rode the KLX a few time and may be sold on getting one.

pic snip......
Hey man,
when I did the oil filter I just used a dab of axle grease to hold the spring on the filter...Works great..... Deej is dead on about the vaseline tho..... I can remember that too about the "copolomers" in the grease etc reacting... but meh 400 KM on my 09 and 3 oil filters so far and runs like a champ

and for the hand guards check out my thread on the multiplo racing guards I put on mine...
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_289363/tm.htm
I won't lie to you it was a real &^$%$ to mount them.....the Dyno jet kit was the easiest part of it....if you need more detailed pics let me know I can snap a few more.
ohh and my full Muzzy is waiting at the post office for pickup (oh happy dayz)
other than that ask if you have any other questions on it I have pretty much experienced the brute force of it, and suggest you get the DJkit, K&N or UNI Air Filter, ditch the Lid, and the full exhaust
without the exhaust on, and the jet kit in and K&N it moves.....this bike is killer loud on the air box part with the stock exhaust on just sucks and barks sounds cool tho....

And awesome pic looks so cool

Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice pics man. Welcome to a very, very exclusive club.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

for the filter spring i use cam lube.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Awsome, thanks for the responses, I'll try the grease next time, otherwise laying the bike over seemed to work fine, I just didnt want to hear that there is some simple easy way i was missing. As for the hand gaurds, i hear what you mean about it being a bit of a job, i took all the parts out to start mounting then looked at how little space i had on the bars! Im going to save that job for a rainy day. Let me know know the Muzzy performs, may have to look into one of those.

I used photoshop to "tone map" that picture, the effect I was going for was to have all the color washed out and grey except for the Kawi Green. I'll try again, but it came out interesting non the less. Oh and next time Ill try to have pics of it bombing through a trail, just doesnt seem right all shiny and sitting on a slab...

Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

The easiest thing to do to get the spring in there is, next time you change the filter, pull out the spring and uncurl the last coil slightly. It will make it a snug fit in the molded fingers in the cavity and it will stay there while you put the filter on.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 PM

QUESTION:: may be silly but anyways., I cant find a oil filter element at any dealerships around me., ,. Whats the # or description?? ANd i never thought to use Vasoline on the spring i Just Leaned the bike over with friend s Help., . thanx 4 that little tip Amigos!!!>, this Bike is RAD . . its awesome in the wind to eh. . . i also cant figure how to add pics to posts. , little help?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Get a Flickr account. Upload to it, then paste the image address on the post.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

The easiest thing to do to get the spring in there is, next time you change the filter, pull out the spring and uncurl the last coil slightly. It will make it a snug fit in the molded fingers in the cavity and it will stay there while you put the filter on.

+1.
Do this once and you never have to mess with it again.
I don't understand the logic of contaminating your oil with grease or Vasoline and having to monkey with it every time you change the oil.