My new $229 dirt bike (pics too)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My new $229 dirt bike (pics too)

Well...new to me. About a month and a half ago I bought a 1987 Yamaha TT225 from a guy at work. Some one gave it to him that couldn't get it started, soI told him I give him 75 bucks for it. He sold it to me.
I brought it home, took apart the carb, cleaned it (and boy did it need it), re-installed it.I tried kicking the bike over now andsecond kick, i broke the kick start boss. So, I ordered that and a clutch cable (was missing one). Got the parts about a week later and installed them. Now I find the bike has no compression. Off comes the head, cylinder, and piston. The piston was sooooo shot (will take a pic of it to show u guys). Half of one of the compression rings was fused into the piston, and the other side of the piston looked like someone had dragged it behind a pickup truck. Cylinder was in pretty good shape, but I searched ebay for another one, and found one for 30 bucks shipped. The new piston/rings was $65.
Soooo...put everything back together, time it, and everything seems fine. Shut off the bike. Re-start it, and i heard this "bad" sound and the bike just shut off. ought-oh!
Bent intake valve!!! While I was timing the bike, a friend had come over, started talking withhim,and i forgot to finish tightening down the bolt on the upper timing gear. Oops. Gave a call to my local dealer, and they said they could get me one for 15 bucks...
Last night, put the valve back in, re-timed 3 times (was off a little onthe first two), tightened everything this time, and started her up. Sounded good. Let it run for a little bit, then I changed the oil and filter. (the oil that was in there was so old and gunky the clutch plates were stuck together. i had to seperate them with a screw driver. The new oil did the trick)
Whoever had the bike last, burnt the **** out of the rear tire. It wasn't popped, but there literally was no tread left on the back (minus side tread). I had the stock klx tire hanging around my garage with about 800 miles on it, so i dug that out of the corner and slapped it on. Not the greatest tire, but better than a slick...
Anyways, took it out in the yard for a little bit ( at this time it was 9:30 pm and the temp was way below freezing) and ripped around. Brought it back in, changed the oil one more time, and now shes running like a champ.
Lemme tell you, the bike isn't pretty too look at, but it runs mint!!!
Didn't want to be into this project for more than 200 bucks, but heres the total's:
BIKE- $75
PISTON- $65
CYLINDER- $30 (somebody owed me a "favor" so I didn't have to pay for this one)
KICK START BOSS- $45
CLUTCH CABLE- $17
INTAKE VALVE- $15
AIR & OIL FILTER- $12
TOTAL- $229
Here's some pics from this morning:

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  48.9 KB

Old 12-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My new $229 dirt bike (pics too)

That's awesome, man! Great job! With a little know-how you brought that old bike that was undoubtedly headed for the trash heap back to life and it's running great. Good work!

Old 12-15-2007, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Woo Hoo that's awsome!!!

PS I think it looks purdy. and nice wheele..... why do ya have freezer frost on the ground...did an ice company blow up or sumthin.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Looking good rippin it up in the snow, You are hardcore!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

<Lemme tell you, the bike isn't pretty too look at, but it runs mint!!!>

From my point of view it's beautiful! Congratulations!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm inspired.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow, that bike is 19 years older than my wife's XT225, and I can only hope that her's looks as good as that one 20 years from now. Great job, and the wheelie and drifting pics are top notch. You are my new hero!! Now I want a project bike to tinker on.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice work! I love tinkering with stuff like that...and when you actually accomplish something as you did, it makes it that much sweeeter..great job!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

whadda ya mean "not pretty" that thing is beautiful!good for you excellent job...

Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Now look what a few hours of tinkering got you and for cheap $$ too.Nice job[sm=smiley20.gif] My buddies keep trying to get me to sell my ttr225 and for just banging around and wheelies I don't think I can do it.Iride it places I don't want to take the klx into and if I dump it no biggie

Quick Reply: My new $229 dirt bike (pics too)