My Nemesis - Carb Wars 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My Nemesis - Carb Wars 101

Time for me to start contributing to the site again after being gone for so long.

After sitting for a year, the KLX was basically being ignored by me while I rode my Dakar and XR650L. The poor KLX was covered in chain oil, dirt, dust and a big black widow nesting near the radiator. The battery was dead and the last time I did get it started in ran like shate! But the tires have held air for all this time!

After selling the XR in September and then the Dakar last week, it was time to buy another bike or give the KLX some much needed TLC - A good scrubbing, re-lube the chain, replace the battery, change the oil, filter and spark plug and my least favorite - pull the carb, clean and re-jet.

Got a late start on it today, think the clock said 3:15 pm, I better get into high gear.

After cleaning the poor girl up (she now looks better than Deej's bike) it was time to start pulling things apart - sigh...

Name:  KLX1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  93.6 KB

Plastics, tank and seat off...

Name:  KLX3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  94.7 KB

The carb is laughing at me, just try and get me out...

This is probably the sixth or seventh time I've pulled the carb in the last three and a half years, each time I think it's going to be a breeze - it isn't.

Name:  KLX4A.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  65.1 KB

Maybe it being late afternoon or old age but my tools and the camera kept disappearing on me, one second they were right next to me, the next, they were on the bench or on the other side of the bike - figured if I pulled up a chair and worked on her while I was sitting things would go easier, well after getting up a dozen times to find a misplaced tool this was NOT working. The old back isn't what it use to be and bending over for any length of time was starting to hurt - the pain distracted me from where I put the 10mm wrench again, damn where is that damn wrench...

After loosening the clamps, removing the throttle cables, etc. and tugging on the carb like a 90-year old dentist trying to extract a tooth from a grizzly bear I got it out! My back creaked as I tried to straighten myself out after being bent over and struggling with the bastard for 10 minutes - ouch.

Name:  KLX6.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  87.8 KB

I remembered messing around with the carb's jets last year but didn't remember if I had put a larger pilot in or a larger main jet - searched through the KLX's "junk" box of assorted parts, found three mains and a pilot and of course, not in their original packaging anymore. Of course the jets aren't marked at all, the smallest must be the original so I narrow it down to two. I know the one I have in the carb is running too rich for the altitude I'm at so the next size smaller should work.

Name:  KLX7.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  52.5 KB

The screws holding the carb bowl on are getting to the point where the phillips heads are getting kinda worn and a lot of pressure by me on the screwdriver to keep from stripping the heads is a must at this point. So I replace the main jet and leave the pilot (I should have put the original pilot in but left the #40 in). Of course the main jet isn't numbered so it's a toss up as to what I stuck in it - maybe a #128 or a #132????

Time to bend over and wrestle with getting the carb back in, ohhh my back!
Think it took me less than ten minutes to coax it in this time. Re-hook everything, lost the 10mm wrench again and the philips screwdriver - WTF!
Replaced the spark plug and a couple of cranks and she fires right up - sounds good! I adjust the idle and let her warm up.

Name:  KLX9.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  70.2 KB

After 5 minutes of running I shut her off and change the oil and filter.

Name:  KLX5.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  100.5 KB

Hey it's starting to get dark - I fire the KLX back up and take it for a ride around the block - starting to get cold with just a t-shirt on even though it hit 73 degrees today. The bike ran fantastic except for some slight popping on deceleration - hmmmmm.

Name:  KLX10.jpg
Size:  121.3 KB

The sun was setting, took a final shot of her in the driveway and know I'll be debating tonight on whether I should put the original pilot jet back in. After being away from the KLX for so long and riding a BMW F650GS Dakar I forgot how uncomfortable the seat was on the KLX but it felt so much lighter, more so than when I first got it. Riding a 450 pound Dakar made the KLX feel so agile in comparison - hey I really missed riding the KLX!

So what's next, A Baja Designs or Trail Tech light of course!

Name:  Trail-Tech_vs_Baja-Designs_w600.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  72.0 KB

Nicomama on advrider.com put one on her DRZ400s - I like it!

Name:  694198277_avRUS-L.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  694230939_NRKtv-L.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  152.2 KB

Should be in the 70's all week so I'll spend some time riding the KLX here in the land of sun, sand and thorns - The Sonoran Desert. I'll put her through the paces of dodging jumping cholla cactus, javelina's and giant saguaros. But I'll still get another bike somewhere in the next couple of months, maybe another used KLR650 with low miles ('05 or '06). I was thinking of getting the Bill Blue 351 Big Bore for the KLX, but this girl has plenty of pull. I know the long and open highway will be calling me come Spring (that's late February here in the desert) and a bigger bike, nothing below 650cc, is a must. The Dakar was great for adventure trips but I never really trusted her or at least me trying to fix that over complicated, beautiful piece of German engineering. The fuel-injection was great and never complained about what type of gas, whether it was watered down Baja petro out of a rusty sprinkling can or vast jumps in altitude, it ran and it ran great. The seat was way so comfy and the suspension was just right with the Ohlins shock and progressive front springs. Why did I sell it - I just never felt like it fit me - personality wise that is. Just changing the oil on it was a major under taking. Basically it was just too snazzy for me and running with the BMW crowd after a while, I knew I didn't fit in especially with my well worn, Joe Rocket Corona leather jacket. Time to get back to the basics - being a broke (and broken), dirty, Corona sucking, desert rat with poor TV reception!

Last edited by klx250s_rider; 12-07-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Carb bullcrap

I feel your pain.
Just put a BB Pumper carb on mine tonight.
That rubber connector between the carb and airbox has a mind of its own.

Curious to see what improvement the carb will make to a stock bore bike.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

go with the light light, and looks great!!

Old 12-07-2010, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Road Trips

Originally Posted by redpillar
go with the light light, and looks great!!
Enjoyed your RR's on advrider - good stuff!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow that bike is cleaner than mine... I really liked the pictures especially of the gal on the 400....

Old 12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Great photos.

I haven't removed the carb yet but rejetting is very necessary even on OEM bikes so.... In one of the photos you provide a great view looking down onto the carb. I understand the carb must come up through the frame where the seat is normally bolted. At least one of those dang boots will need to yield to allow the carb to come up. So do you slide the carb away from the head into the airbox boot and then twist free? Do both boots yield a bit?

I secretly, okay not so secretly, wish I could move away from this wet state where I've spent my whole life to a warmer, drier state with more daylight in the winter. It is pitch black here at 4:30.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Great photos.

I haven't removed the carb yet but rejetting is very necessary even on OEM bikes so.... In one of the photos you provide a great view looking down onto the carb. I understand the carb must come up through the frame where the seat is normally bolted. At least one of those dang boots will need to yield to allow the carb to come up. So do you slide the carb away from the head into the airbox boot and then twist free? Do both boots yield a bit?

I secretly, okay not so secretly, wish I could move away from this wet state where I've spent my whole life to a warmer, drier state with more daylight in the winter. It is pitch black here at 4:30.
Just the longer (rear) boot has the length to flex, you can remove it, but mark the top of the boot so you know how to reposition it easily. From there the games begin - twisting and pulling and then angling the carb through the top of the frame. Take your time and you'll be fine.

I'm not much for cold weather and damp riding so I feel your pain. On that note - It's going to get into the 80's here starting this weekend - sweet desert riding weather! Looks like I'm going to have to pull the carb again, smaller pilot and readjust the fuel mixture screw - Damn!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default carb

Put the boot in some really hot water just before you start fighting with it. Take the rear brake reservoir off so you can get in there with both hands. Leave the metal clamps off till you get it on there so you can flex it.

Walk away from it if you pick up a screwdriver and want to throw it.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Wow that bike is cleaner than mine... I really liked the pictures especially of the gal on the 400....
yea yea.... your bike stays clean when your only riding in sand..... come up here...

Name:  aftereastr003.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  285.4 KB

Name:  aftereastr004.jpg
Size:  218.4 KB

Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Turn your "air screw" OUT about 1/2 more of a turn, see if that fixes your lean pop on deceleration. It sure helped minimize mine. I really should bump up to a 38 Pilot, but, that 1/2 turn is sure easier to do!

Quick Reply: My Nemesis - Carb Wars 101