My KLX is falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My KLX is falling apart

Went to the dealer today to look at the new KLX450R and to get a pilot jet for the KLX 250. I only had a hour left of sunlight to change the pilot jet and the main jet, so I started pulling it apart. As I was taking the gas tank off I noticed that the fuel hoses had cracks in them and they broke off.

Once I got the carb off I noticed that a screw on the carb fell off anda vacume cap is falling apart.

Here is the question.Is thedoohickie on the left in the picture below the stock pilot jet? The one on the right is the pilot jet they sold me and it wont fit as you can see in the picture. What am I doing wrong? or did they sell me the wrong part (again)?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Default RE: My KLX is falling apart

Kawasaki fuel hoses are made out of cheese. Mine broke when I twisted the tank to get to the clamps for removaland the hoses broke exactly at the same place. The brass barb cuts the hose as soon as you twist. From that point I would take the hose off at the carb and take off the tank and the petcock as one unit, saves the busted knuckles and cuss words, not to mention buying new hoses. Good luck on your part search.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Good time to replace the tank... After market tanks don't use all those silly vacuum hoses.
Just one little fuel line and a vent on the cap. Sound logic right? $200 tank instead of $2 hoses?

Old 04-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Looks like you get some good use out of the KLX. Definitely cheap hoses, but I wonder if they got pinched or were rubbing on the frame cuasing a hole to get worn in them. You are using a screw driver to gently pry them off, not yanking on them right?

Did you dismantle the carb before? The screw on the carb seems like it was stripped out. Wiht stamp steep, youy have ot be careful not to over tightnen them.

I'm not trying to sound too critical, but although I only have 1500 miles on mine, and it's mostly backroad use, not trails, I've had my carb apart at least 4 times and the tank off 5 or 6 times and haven't had any problems.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I hope my bike isn't that dirty underneath the tank.[8D] I know that was no help, but now I have to head out into the garage and see if I can make sure. Thanks Gomer........thanks for nothing.[sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Tom,

In your picture of the pilot jets, the one on the left looks like a slow (pilot) jet for a CVK carb, so I would say you pulled the right one.

The one on the right looks like a slow (pilot) jet for a Keihin CR, VB, VD, PJ, PWK, PD, or PE carb (depending on the length). I would say the parts guy needs to do a little homework...

Old 04-28-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Good time to replace the tank... After market tanks don't use all those silly vacuum hoses.
Just one little fuel line and a vent on the cap. Sound logic right? $200 tank instead of $2 hoses?
I want to replace the tank, but I am waiting to see a picture of the Clarke tank when it is finished. So I am stuck with the stock one until then. The $2 hoses I bought from Schucks are not shaped like the stock ones and they are now in the way of the choke.

Looks like you get some good use out of the KLX. Definitely cheap hoses, but I wonder if they got pinched or were rubbing on the frame cuasing a hole to get worn in them. You are using a screw driver to gently pry them off, not yanking on them right?

Did you dismantle the carb before? The screw on the carb seems like it was stripped out. Wiht stamp steep, youy have ot be careful not to over tightnen them.

I'm not trying to sound too critical, but although I only have 1500 miles on mine, and it's mostly backroad use, not trails, I've had my carb apart at least 4 times and the tank off 5 or 6 times and haven't had any problems.
After I unbolted the tank and lifted it gently to look at the hoses andfuel started leaking everywhere. This happened before taking off the hoses. I pressure washed the bike after my last ride. Maybe I held the pressure washer too close to the carb and messed up the fuel hoses and the vacume cap from removing smog stuff. Either that or I pulled too hard on the tank while the hoses where attached.

I have only taken apart the carb once before to do the original jetting. I wanted to switch to a 128 main with a 40 pilot per tony and scats suggestions. I bought a 4mm screw from Home Depot and it fit right in and the threads are still good. Maybe I need locktite on these bolts.

Tom,

In your picture of the pilot jets, the one on the left looks like a slow (pilot) jet for a CVK carb, so I would say you pulled the right one.

The one on the right looks like a slow (pilot) jet for a Keihin CR, VB, VD, PJ, PWK, PD, or PE carb (depending on the length). I would say the parts guy needs to do a little homework...
Thanks, I was looking at some old pictures at ADVrider and I agree. I definitely pulled the right one. I think I'll head back over to the dealer and yell at the part guy again. I think this is the third part I had bought from them and they gave me the wrong part. They gave me a KLR650 oil filter before, and a KX250 rear fender. Both not even close to what I wanted.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Anyone know if I can run the bike on reserve and still use the whole tank? or am I limited to just 20 miles on reserve?The stock main fuel line hastwo kinks in it, and a straight piece of tubing won't work. I have a replacement on order, but I would like to ride the bike in the mean time.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That should work fine. Reserve usually just draws from a tube that is closer to the bottom of the tank, not from a seperate resevior.

Quick Reply: My KLX is falling apart