My KLX 250 (turned 351) SF experience.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I've had them or rode them all too. My KLX 250 SF fits my niche nicely. Plus that Yamaha looks like crap!

I still think he wants a bike for him to play on though, not his girl.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I am 6'7" and over 200 lbs. Do you really think I'd buy a 250 and on top of that get one with the lowest seat height out there? Do you wish to form some other rediculous conclusions? The bike has a dirt wheel setup also and even with the dirt wheels and tires it is still the lowest seat height bike and that is why I bought it for her. I rode the bike a few hundred yards on some single track up in the mountains just to see what she was talking about and validate her complaints.
My personal opinion is if the 250 is the bike for you then you are either old and slow or don't have the ***** to ride anything with power. I am no racer but there isn't a single person that can keep up with me on a KLX 250 for the kind of desert riding that I do and anyone that thinks they can doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. A bike that weighs more and has less power is a slower bike...period. I've heard so much nonsense and bull**** on this forum it is rediculous. Anyone that can't be straight up and honest about the pitfalls of their bike isn't worth having a discussion with. I'm out.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teenycar
Anyone that can't be straight up and honest about the pitfalls of their bike isn't worth having a discussion with. I'm out.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

That said, the KTM is a reliable bike, but you MUST stay on top of the maintenance intervals...particulary the valves.
Kibblewhites.... No more adjusting than the KLX, or the DRZ really.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

I rode the bike a few hundred yards on some single track up in the mountains just to see what she was talking about and validate her complaints. My personal opinion is if the 250 is the bike for you then you are either old and slow or don't have the ***** to ride anything with power.
So you're 'mature' response to riding this bike for a whopping few hundred yards (your mountains of experience inspire us) is to suggest that anyone happy on it is old and slow OR ball-less, it's amazing you could garner so much info based on riding a bike in the woods miles and miles from anyone on this forum? FWIW, I ride for fun, not bragging rights, this bike is oodles of fun at a budget I can smile at too. However plenty of serious riders on here do plenty with the platform, if you can't, I'm assuming the change in the equation is you either in mechanical knowledge or skill. FYI, I had to completely change my riding style to make use of the KLX's abilities, I was used to my KTM that was a torque monster in any gear, grip and go, the KLX requires a lot more hands on gear mindedness to really use it and ride it, perhaps you just need to find the right gear... like a helmet and a rubber room... j/k

I am no racer but there isn't a single person that can keep up with me on a KLX 250 for the kind of desert riding that I do and anyone that thinks they can doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.
What do you ride, is it a reasonable comparison in price and cost and displacement, if not apples and oranges is a stupid comparison and hardly room for bragging and bashing rights. Especially if your riding is long open lines in the desert, if you're riding something with more displacement and less weight in wide open spaces with little technical stuff to slow you down ... well duh, thanks captain obvious we're inspired by your wisdom! However, there's a number of guys in this forum who I'd gladly put money on making you eat your words in the woods ... The KLX 250 is not a straight line WOT dominator, and no one who bought it, bought it for that... at least no one with smart shopping practices, perhaps this is where we differ? But I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see guys on a KLX keep up with you just fine as long as you were riding something with the same amount of money invested in an even remotely reasonable class comparison.

A bike that weighs more and has less power is a slower bike...period.
Sure, if you're a drag-racer and completely omit issues like handling, suspension, and I dunno, maybe gearing, environment, and traction (not to mention rider) .. but you're probably right, why shouldn't 2 parts of a speed equation completely eliminate the efficacy of every other consideration? However you seem in the practice of eliminating critical things like "hey did the bike run really well, why dont i test-drive it before we write the check?"

I've heard so much nonsense and bull**** on this forum it is rediculous. Anyone that can't be straight up and honest about the pitfalls of their bike isn't worth having a discussion with.
Plenty of guys here (myself included) have readily and candidly agreed in this thread that the KLX 250 is at least somewhat anemic and more anemic than it needs to be stock even at it's modest purchase price.
(Mind you, you still haven't acknowledged that your stock assessment was based on a bike that clearly wasn't running right, which you didn't seem to fix before making mods and then making a negative comparison based on needed mods ... which goes back to that whole shopping wisdom thing, but I digress.)
If you can't acknowledge others fairness and at the same time acknowledge that others have added input to the conversation that could readily resolve many of your 'pitfalls' on this bike, perhaps the real pitfall is you and the ridiculous is someone who forms their opinion, spouts it as gospel and closes themselves off to new info Just a thought
Trying dropping a front sprocket tooth and going up a couple teeth on the rear, then have someone who understands motors enough to recognize a bike that's not running right check out your set-up for you, and maybe your riding skills too.

I'm out.
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the thunderous applause what was that again?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

My personal opinion is if the 250 is the bike for you then you....don't have the *****....
Last time I checked, that describes the female of the species very well....wasn't this bike bought for a female?

BTW, the corrrect spelling is ridiculous, as in "ridicule".

Last edited by Blackheart58; 08-02-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

OK enough already, I'm whiling to take one for the team here so we can all move on with our happy lives.

teenycar, If that bike is such a POS and is stinking up your garage, I'll take it off your hands. I'll pay to have it shipped to my garage where it can spend the rest of it's days stinking up my place next to my own SF. You wount have to life a finger other then to sign over the title, fair enough just tell me when the mover can come get it.......lol

There problem solved......

Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I enjoyed reading your write-up on your experience, but I have to agree with some of the others, comparing the KLX to the KTM you mentioned is definitely not apples to apples. No matter what you do to the KLX, it will not be a race bike or compare to one. Comparing it to the CRF230 you mentioned, would make more sense, since these two bikes are closer in HP. I know firsthand that the KLX is far superior to the CRF230, because I had one. With the 351 kit, the KLX must have awesome power compared to the CRF. I'm also 5'4". I ride the S version, and I know someone shorter that ride bikes even taller.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

"The bike has a dirt wheel setup also and even with the dirt wheels and tires it is still the lowest seat height bike and that is why I bought it for her."

That right there is Bull ****!

The CRF230L is 31.9" and the KLX250s is 35"
Unless your dirt wheel set up is on the tiny little wheels, which by the way will handle worse than the CRF with 21" front wheel.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
There is nothing "Straining" about running the engine at 7500 rpm. It's load that hurts an engine, as long as you are not nearing the redline. I'd be more concerned with the miniscule mm's of head-gasket remaining between the water jacket and pistion on a 351 bore-out...worry about that instead.
Please elaborate more on, your opinion. I constantly run my Stock, KLX at 7,000-7,500 K. At a speed of 60-65MPH. Over the long term, you dont think this is harmful?

Quick Reply: My KLX 250 (turned 351) SF experience.....