My KLX 250 (turned 351) SF experience.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Believe there was a post from Bill on adv rider back when the 351 was new that said he lost a fraction of a hp going from the stock 250 head pipe to the "bomb". Think he had a supertrapp on the end at that time with (only) 5 discs, probably didn't matter what head pipe was on it. 5 discs wouldn't flow any more than 5 discs.

As far as the KTM, absolutely nice bikes they are. But they aren't built for longevity or extended road miles like the KLX. I have a crf20x that makes a ton more power and is lighter and quicker, but would never think about riding it cross state loaded with gear, just not made for that.
Are the majority of people using their KLX 250 for "cross state loaded with gear" riding? If that was the kind of riding you were doing then a 250 is most definitely not the bike to have! hahhahahaha I ride 150 mile loops from my house to the San Bernardino National forest dirt roads/trails every week on my KTM and I have never had any issues with it. I am curious what kind of miles people are getting out of their motors for longevity. I know people who have put some serious miles on their DRZ but haven't seen much from the KLX 250 guys. I have seen guys put 20K on their KTM bike before rebuilding the engine. Valves usually need to be adjusted 5-10K. Seems relatively maintenance free to me, but I apparently don't have a clue.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Couldn't have said it better Tremor, teenycar, you just don't have a clue
Nice bit of constructive input there buddy. Considering every bike you list has no power...it is you who doesn't have a clue! Ride something with real performance and maybe you'd get one.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd also like to say that I did the airbox mod and there is NO difference before cutting out the screen and after the fact. In my opinion it is worthless and more trouble and perhaps more of a danger with no benefits.
I also drilled out the hole for the crankcase to breath but I also believe this to be worthless as the change in heat cycles is not fast enough for even the small hole to keep up with.
I did pull the smog lines but there is no power benefit to doing this. I did it just to clean up the bike and remove some worthless accessories and weight.
At Bill's request I did not remove the airbox cover as apparently someone tried removing it with the 351 kit and could not get the bike to run properly.
My air box cover did not have a snorkel as apparently the S version does. It does have a hole in it that is comparable in size to the snorkel to what everyone is upgrading to so I don't think the bike is starving for air.
I would be interested to hear what people have done to shed weight. At over 300 lbs this bike is 50 lbs. more than my KTM and has half the horsepower. I pulled the secondary pegs and the rack the previous owner put on. The new muffler should shed a few pounds as well. I think keeping the stock header pipe is as light as it is going to get. I am also going to bob the rear fender but the plastic doesn't really weight that much so not much weight savings there. My bike also has a fan that I never see come on so are people even bothering to use the fan setup? Does the S version even come with a fan? Doesn't seem needed to me. What about the overfill bottle for the radiator fluid? Does the S version come with that? I don't have them on my other bikes so is it really needed? What else are you guys doing to put the pig on a diet?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teenycar
Bill's site is a good example and there are other dyno numbers out there that show a loss in hp and torque on the bottom end with replacing the stock header pipe. You might get more on the top end but I am concerned with bottom end numbers since the bike is used in the dirt and twisty corners of street riding. Why care about top end hp on a 250 bike? It isn't like you are going to go that much faster and relatively speaking the bike will always be slow for top speed anyway.
Show me some proof of that, and I'll believe you. I have the pipe installed. My bike is more powerful, faster, and easier to ride. I ride primarily single track, and not leisurely.

Last edited by zomby woof; 07-30-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

teeny car, sell the thing and give yourself a break. If we wanted a exc or te or wr or whatever we'd go buy one. The klx is what it is, your never going to make it into any more than what it already is. I own 9 bikes and they all fill a niche, the klx fills one nicely, it is what it is.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice bit of constructive input there buddy. Considering every bike you list has no power...it is you who doesn't have a clue! Ride something with real performance and maybe you'd get one.
Doesn't really matter, cause Mav' live in Coffs Harbour, and you don't....Buddy!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

That's odd because I own a KTM 525 and other than oil/filter changes I have not needed to do anything to it, nor have my 4 other friends who ride KTM's. Other than upgrading the headlight bulb I find the electrical system to be equal to that of the KLX.
You are comparing a 525 to a 250, but I'd bet the KLX charging system is still better. Have you done a load test on your bike? I have. We have a forum member who recently owned a 450EXC and although he's a big time KTM fan he admits that the electrical capacity is very poor without modifications. Just fitting a different headlight bulb to get more light doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

I'm also curious what you mean by high-strung race bike nature? As in it isn't comfortable to ride? Does it have more vibration than the KLX...yes, but after my little 40 mile ride I find my KTM to be much more comfortable to sit on for the distance traveled.
Great. I'm glad your happy with your KTM. I don't mean to knock them. If that's the type of bike you're happy with, more power to you. They are great for their intended purpose. I don't share your opinion of which is more comfortable though. There are many KTM, Husaberg and Husky riders in my group. When we do the longer slab rides, I drop the KLX into 6th and cuise in relative comfort compared with their buzz boxes. I did have my seat reworked by Renazco, so add that to the equation, but I still felt the KLX to be more comfy prior to that mod.

I don't expect all 250 bikes to be the same but I am just surprised at how different they are for the same displacement! I tested at WR 250 this morning and it had more explosive power than the KLX does with the 351 kit at this point. Surely you can agree that from the factory Kawasaki missed the boat on this bike. Taking into consideration the KLX is a 351 displacement it still feels less powerful than a stock 250 bike from Yamaha.
As I said before, there are apples to oranges comparisons within the 250cc displacement category, just as their is with larger and smaller engine sizes. Yamaha has more than one 'WR' the WR250F cannot be plated in most states. The WR250R makes more power on the top-end than the KLX, but is much newer technology. With that technology comes a bike priced at about $2,000.00 more than the KLX. Kawasaki might be able to spit out something with more power, but that would require a re-designed engine and suspension, so they would lose the price point advantage they enjoy now.

If you want to compare something to a KTM, look at Huskvarna Gas Gas, their sister company Husabery, etc. The KLX is in a heavier class of bikes that lean closer to 50/50 street/trail use.

In the end, it seems you've already convinced yourself and are here purely for the debate. KTM is a great bike in its own right. If you like them, keep pushing your girl until she gets one.

Last edited by tremor38; 07-31-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I smell a troll.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bsj425
I smell a troll.
Oh I see...so because I don't come on here raving about a KLX 250 I have then I must be a troll? So this forum is for 250 lovers only? Maybe that should be posted as a sticky. Forum dedicated to those who have only positive things to say about their KLX 250. I thought it was for people who had or were interested in the 250? My bad I'll leave. Carry on raving about a piece of **** bike.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh I see...so because I don't come on here raving about a KLX 250 I have then I must be a troll? So this forum is for 250 lovers only? Maybe that should be posted as a sticky. Forum dedicated to those who have only positive things to say about their KLX 250. I thought it was for people who had or were interested in the 250? My bad I'll leave. Carry on raving about a piece of **** bike.
Well, that's only one in the crowd that is crying 'troll.' I've enjoyed the discussion so far, but I think you should be looking for what your girl wants rather than what YOU want. Most of the bikes in the performance category you are seeking have a pretty high seat height, so, yes, maybe you should let her get accustomed to the KLX before moving up.

Another note on the valves...my KLX now has over 20K miles and valves are still in spec since new. When the valves start to go out of adjustment, KLX riders are forwarned with hard starting and rough idling. If you let the KTM valves get too tight, grenade city because they are forced shut machanically rather than by spring.
This is one of the reasons the KTM makes more power though, so there's always a trade-off.

That said, the KTM is a reliable bike, but you MUST stay on top of the maintenance intervals...particulary the valves.

Good luck. I hope that you and especially SHE ends-up with a bike SHE likes. After all, the bike is for HER, isn't it?

Last edited by tremor38; 07-31-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: My KLX 250 (turned 351) SF experience.....