My KLX 250 and I had fun this week at Shane Watts Dirtwise School!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My KLX 250 and I had fun this week at Shane Watts Dirtwise School!

Hey guys, I don't post much but read a lot here, thought i'd let you know about a 2-day course I attended up here in Canada put on by Shane Watts, one of the great all-around riders out there. The bike and I did okay, I'm pretty green still, only my 2nd year out there, but we still got through everything the course had to offer, only put it down twice during the two days, which is likely a record for me!

I didn't think our bike could wheelie that well (my bike is stock), Shane showed me how easy it was with this bike, and after seeing him do it I was able to get that front end up pretty consistently afterwards.

Here's a video on YouTube with Shane on my bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHelgL4TGpA

and for those that are interested in readng more, here's a link to a thread on the course itself, complete with lots of pics, including me taking the 250 over two good-size logs! It's all in the wheelie, once you get the front end over the log, it's a LOT easier to get the rest of the bike up and over.

http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12924

If you get a chance to participate in a course like this I'd highly recommend it regardless of skill level, I learned a LOT, and even the guys who have been doing this for a LOT longer than me all seemed to get some good value from the lessons.

Take care,

Dave

Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Awesome!!! I have to know How did you get that front end up so easy?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ha ha, that's great. You should have Wattsy sign your bike and put it up on e-bay with that clip.

I've heard great things about the Dirtwise school. That's on my list to-do someday or may Rich Lafferty's in NJ sometime.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

doitinthewoods: hey, it's all cluth and throttle, simple as that. i didn't believe it either, although he kept saying it, until i started to really TRY to get the front end up. took a bit of time, and i'm not always successful, but after the first day i found i can get the wheel up about 75% of the time. doesn't need a lot of throttle, but found i got consistent lift around 5,000 rpm, and would almost go TOO high above 6,000 rpm.

that wheelie control is what i used in the 2nd day to get the front wheel up and over those 2 logs we had to cross over, if you go to my 2nd link you can see the pics about half way through of me with just the front tire over, and then most of the way over with my feet on the other side. without the wheelie, no way i could have got over that log, it was 18-20" i'd guess, but if you look closely you'll see there was also a bowl just before the log we had to come up and out of for the front wheel, made it very interesting. That log cross was the best accomplishment for me personally...

Dave

Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Question

That looks like alot of fun!

How much was the school?

Do you know if there is a school in Oregon?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Dan, school was $350 I believe for the two days, not bad, well worth the price in my opinion as I learned a lot of new things. if you go to www.shanewatts.com he has a list of all his upcoming school locations (http://www.shanewatts.com/ridingschools.aspx)

it was a lot of fun, great experience!

Dave

Old 07-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Looks like a great school, and a good workout too. I would love to take one of those classes. Thanks for posting it.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

did he happen to warn you guys about the amount of damage to the clutch your causing by slipping it like that?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I have tried so mant times to lift up that wheel on my stock 09. did you keep it at a steady 5k then pop the clutch or rev to 5k?

Old 07-29-2008, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

It also looks like he's loading the forks by applying front brakes prior to popping it up..that helps big time.

I noticed he was letting his left foot hang free until he got a good feel for the bike. Smart man.

Quick Reply: My KLX 250 and I had fun this week at Shane Watts Dirtwise School!