My experience with overseas ebay plastics

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My experience with overseas ebay plastics

UPDATE: November 3, 2011: I finally received the partial refund from the seller. Turns out he was affected by the flooding in Thailand and had to move out of his house for a while. So anyway, I would recommend this seller now if you need new plastics. Just keep in mind that you'll probably have to order the headlight surround elsewhere, unless he resolves the issue with it.

I have one of the red 2009 KLX models. When I bought the bike new, I really liked the green better, but I got a really good deal on the red one. I shopped 15 dealers before buying, and I was only able to find a great deal on a red one, so I got it. I didn't really mind it being red, as it matched my husband's Honda. After having the bike for a year and a half, I decided to install an IMS tank and 351 kit. I decided to turn the bike green at the same time. My thought was that if it was going to feel like a new bike, it would be nice to have it look like a new bike.

Of course green plastics through the dealer was out, so I turned to ebay. There's a seller in Thailand that sells complete plastics kits. I bought the green. The ad said it would take 3-4 business days to arrive. I thought it sounded to good to be true, but that's what it said. Well a month later , my green plastics arrived. When I asked the seller about the 3-4 day timeframe, he replied that I had to pay for expedited shipping to get that. Well I re-read the ad, and it only gave one shipping option.

Anyway, I was happy to finally have my plastics, so no biggie. I was busy installing the tank shrouds, and my husband was doing the headlight surround. That's when he said it didn't fit. I thought he was just doing it wrong, so I grabbed it from him. It DIDN'T fit! While the shape was exactly the same, it was smaller. So evidentally the Euro bikes must have a slightly different headlight. This was not mentioned in the ad.

So I contacted the seller again and let him know. I also included a picture of the one he sent, along with my old red one. He said I was the first customer that ever reported that piece no fitting. I asked for a partial refund in the amount of $19. That would pay for 1/2 of a new U.S. one. He agreed. But the refund never came. Finally he said I needed to close the case I had opened through ebay, as it was preventing him from sending the money. I was skeptical, because ebay said once it was closed, it was closed and couldn't be reopened. But I went ahead and closed it, because the guy seemed friendly--a fellow KLX rider. I have about 500 transactions on ebay as a seller and buyer, and never once had a problem. Until now. I never received my $19 refund, and my last message has gone unanswered.

So in the grand scheme of things, $19 isn't going to break me, but it's the principle. I am only posting this here in case anyone on here in the U.S. is looking at the overseas version of the plastics. I am very happy with the rest of the plastics, and they fit perfect. I did order the headlight surround from a U.S. dealer, and it should arrive soon. All in all, I guess the ebay plastics were still a great value, but just don't expect the headlight surround to fit if you decide to order.

Here's a pic showing the difference in the headlight covers:

Here's my KLX250 when it was red:

And here's my 351 with IMS tank now that it's green, with missing headlight surround (sorry, no trail shots yet):

Last edited by jckid; 11-03-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

That looks like a klx 450 headlight bezel. I think they are a little smaller. How is the quality of the plastics?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I would NEVER buy stuff on ebay from overseas. I always check for products in the U.S. I see you have a rear rack that i've seen on ebay. How do you like it? I would like to buy one of those.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
That looks like a klx 450 headlight bezel. I think they are a little smaller. How is the quality of the plastics?
Quality is the same as the original plastics. They are identical, except for the headlight bezel. They are advertised as OEM, and they look OEM to me.

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
I would NEVER buy stuff on ebay from overseas. I always check for products in the U.S. I see you have a rear rack that i've seen on ebay. How do you like it? I would like to buy one of those.
I've actually bought quite a bit of stuff through ebay overseas--mainly high end bicycle parts--and never had a problem. I didn't even consider buying the plastics here in the U.S., because the cost through a dealer was three times more.

Yes, my rack is the Nomadic rack from ebay. I think they also sell them direct through their website. I'm very happy with it, and would definitely recommend it. I also have a Turbo City rack on my Husky (and I think they make one for the KLX). I recommend it as well, but the finish on the Nomadic rack holds up much better than the Turbo City one. It still looks like new...the Turbo City one not so much, but the extra width of the TC rack is nice when I'm carrying my larger tailbag.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

UPDATE: November 3, 2011: I finally received the partial refund from the seller. Turns out he was affected by the flooding in Thailand and had to move out of his house for a while. So anyway, I would recommend this seller now if you need new plastics. Just keep in mind that you'll probably have to order the headlight surround elsewhere, unless he resolves the issue with it.

Note: I also added this update to the initial post.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought new oem black plastic for the red 09 klx250s, and it looks alot better IMO. Costs alittle more but no head aches with the fit.... online was cheaper than the dealership close to home.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I agree I think that is a KLX450 bezel. Maybe it got mixed up with the KLX250 side panels.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 AM

Do you have the name of the seller? I'm looking for a set of yellow D-tracker plastics for our KLX250SF and can't find anything on ebay.

Thanks,

Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Did anyone ever find the Ebay seller mentioned in this thread? I have a 06-07 250S and need new plastic.. mine is badly faded.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by queen of spades
Did anyone ever find the Ebay seller mentioned in this thread? I have a 06-07 250S and need new plastic.. mine is badly faded.
Green Front Side Plastic Cover for Kawasaki KLX250 2004-2007
Keep in mind the ones sold on ebay are made in china/hk. Purchase at your own risk

Quick Reply: My experience with overseas ebay plastics