Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My cheapo GPS solution

All off eBay
New Garmin Legend: $92
New Garmin handlebar mount: $12
Used version of Mapsource that doesn't require authentication: $10

This is the bottom of the line budget GPS from Garmin and as such it does have some shortcomings. The receiver isn't as powerful as the higher end units but I haven't had any reception problems. It only has 8mb or internal memory on top of the base maps so I can only load a few detailed maps from Mapsource. The handlebar mount seems okay even though the consensus on the Internet is that it is crap. I do jumps, got it wet, and have gone off road several times without any problems so far. I wrap the wrist strap around the bars just in case the mount breaks I won't lose the unit.
Overall, I think this is a good beginner unit and is a bargain for the amount of money I've put into it. I will likely outgrow it fairly quickly and as such I wish I got one of the higher end models. The Legends hold their value pretty well on the used market so if I do upgrade I haven't thrown away much money.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My cheapo GPS solution

Is it waterproof? I have a magellan meridian color, thats a bit bigger and bulkier, but it is water proof and actually floats! Don't have a fancy mount for it I just keep it in my pocket. I really like that setup you have though whats the battery life on that?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I use a state-of-the-art 2D mapping system developed at the beginning of the space program.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5289/0F96BBACEB684BCAB90EF72B6816FEFE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

, don't worry. I use the exact setup except with a Garmin GPS60cs. Works great on the trails. I believe the Garmin Etrex is waterproof till a certain depth. I've had no problems withthe GPS60 in pouring rain.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes all of the Etrex units, Legend included, are waterproof but don't float. You would have to go up to the GPSMAP76 line to get one that floats. The specs say thebattery life is 18 hours which sounds about right. The higher end Garmin handheldunits get muchbetter battery life. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

Old 09-01-2007, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Very nice. All I bought for mine was the RAM mount. The Garmin III+ was free from work when they upgraded to a new one. It works fine for what I use it for. It also doubles as a speedo for my barely street legal XR650R. BTW, Deej, I no longer have my 'clown horn' on the XR. lol!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TypeSH

Yes all of the Etrex units, Legend included, are waterproof but don't float. You would have to go up to the GPSMAP76 line to get one that floats. The specs say the battery life is 18 hours which sounds about right. The higher end Garmin handheld units get much better battery life. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145
Perfect then, you're stylin!

Old 09-01-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I ran an etrex legend on my atv with a RAM mount for 2 years and it has proved totally bulletproof...It has survived 2 end over end rolls and a few barrell rolls on the quad.....as for my bike? I upgraded to a Garmin GPS 60CSX for unlimited memory and a color screen but if your going for budget then you nailed it....The only problem i see is now that you bootlegged the software then you cannot update it which will be necessary to read anyone elses info as with each software upgrade that is done it makes the previous version not readable on the older version..... so if your buddy has a legal version and was a weiner and charged you then that means that for each new version released you cannot read his newer info on your older version.....now you can usually read the tracks but most waypoint symbols are unreadable from your unit.......just a small downside....and before anyone begins to argue go ahead and argue as i've been doing this for years with my few very close friends and usually my one buddy will scamm something to make it work but he works for a developer and I know it doesn't make it ok but we all usually end up paying somewhere to make it legit and work for us.the topo program usually gets updated every other month and the mapsource streets is updated monthly as well as becoming obsolete at the end of the year....but eh...I got up to date software for my handheld and that's all that matters.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:41 AM
1st Gear Member

If he has the master disks and such shouldnt he still be ok? Or are you talking about having it registered to another unit?