My Buddy dropped his WR last night... broke his leg

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I broke my right leg last december while going through a mudpit and I'm still recovering. I was only going about 15 to 20 mph when I hit a barrier. I broke my tibia in half and my fibula in two places. I was wearing knee pads and an alpinestar almost knee high boots. Mine was a compound fracture cuz my tibia was sticking out but my boots held my leg in place. Now I got a rod with two screws in my leg. I was lucky though cuz I didn't have to wear a cast. It's gonna be almost 8 months and I still can't run or jog. I wish your buddy a fast recovery! Everybody be careful out there!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dang! That sucks. I still can't believe that in 44 years I have never broke anything. Tell your friend to get better and to not give up on riding. I am pretty tense on the tight single track. And I ride pretty fast on them when I'm with others. That's usually when you bite the dust, but so far in the 3.5 years since I bought the KLX I have managed to not drop the bike. Well unless you count the time on the solid sheet of frozen rain at 2 mph. I did the splits and let me tell you that hurt.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

So he had the surgery yesterday morning. Instead of the metal bar, they went with metal plates. He can't ride offroad for about a year. On crutches for about 4 months. I doubt he'll get back on the bike this year since it's his shifting leg that got mangled.

That's about it... grim news but i guess it could always be worse!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

he'll be fine. It'll hurt for a while and be sensitive over the plates for a year or two...but after a few years time he'll be tip top again. As long as he keeps active and in shape. If you don't it will be the first thing that hurts.

I dropped my KLX for the first time about 6 weeks ago. I was going down this big powerline hill and it was hard to see because of all the contours in the terrain and plants and rocks, etc...well I ended up coming up to a cliff and slammed on the brakes and I had to go up a bit to get to this cliff and I started to slide back down then the bike twisted on me and my leg obviously couldn't reach becuase I was heading downhill and it therefore was a longer distance to reach.... I fell over. No big deal. But I was still on the bike so I got slammed into the ground like a hammer. Hurt the ribs a bit.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My first drop was while stopped. fetched up on some muddy rocks. give her a shot and rear wheel skidded out and down she went. Second time was when I stopped on side of a sandy hill. for some reason I tipped downhill and well u know what happens next! both these times were in my first week of owning my bike. No damage to me or bike either time. Sand is soft luckily. Ride safely everyone.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by higgs
That's about it... grim news but i guess it could always be worse!
Yep, it sure could be worse.
A trail bike rider was killed here over the weekend.
Don't no the details apart from this.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...017006,00.html

Keep safe everyone.

Last edited by neilaction; 06-09-2009 at 06:50 AM.