my bike is beat to sheet

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:43 PM
ktn
Default my bike is beat to sheet

I can't post up pics because it's too embarassing, but my poor bike has had it. This weekend I bent the shift lever back and cracked it about 15 miles from the truck and my radiator shroud blew off in pieces. Almost all of the graphics are gone and the rear white panels look like they 've been touched up with a 20 grit belt sander. My bark busters have so much pine sap on them that my garage smells like Christmas.

Anyway, I'm looking for an aftermarket shifter and some new plastic. The OEM stuff is expensive as hell....anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Old 06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: my bike is beat to sheet

Only one idea, STOP TREATING YOUR BIKE LIKE CRAP!!!! Sorry I couldn't help it, dude if I am going to pay this much for something I am going to make sure it stays as nice as it can for as long as I can. Yea yea I know its a dirt bike and your supposed to have fun, and trust me I do every time I get on it.I have 5200 miles on mine on all kinds of trails, forest service roads, highway, a poker run and a couple of other organized rides off road, and I have yet to drop the bike, I don't know maybe its just me, but why is everyone trashing their bikes? As far as parts go, I don't know, the bike is still new enough that the parts guys still get that Gomer Pile look when you ask them for parts for our bikes, so they're no help. Maybe someone on here will chime in and share ideas, but I don't know since I haven't had to replace anything yet.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:51 PM
ktn

Believe it or not...I treat the bike with loving care....it's the trees that treat it like hell.

I'm just trying to do a little maintenance now and looking for some help with parts procurement!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 06-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ktn

Believe it or not...I treat the bike with loving care....it's the trees that treat it like hell.

I'm just trying to do a little maintenance now and looking for some help with parts procurement!
I was just messing with ya, there is nothing wrong with enjoying what you do as long as you can walk away afterwards.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey man, it happens, don't feel bad, just means you are getting the most out of your investment. Now it's just time to pony up for the replacement parts and be on your way again. Check e-bay for anyone parting out a bike maybe? Maier is supposed to start making plastics for the KLX soon which I'm sure will be about half the price or less of the OEM shrouds. Either that or find someone with the Acerbis tank and see if they'll sell you their shrouds.

I'd personally just fix those things that are non-functional - I certainly would not replace scuffed up plastic, there is no point as it really is a dirt bike, not a chrome ***** garage queen.

Oh, and riding a dirt bike like a dirt bike is not treating it like crap, it's riding it for what it was designed to do.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

hey brian. like the new pic.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

Is that one of mine? It seemed like you were always the direction i was taking pics.....lol...

Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

Hey thanks ... gotta thank Eric for that shot I think, gave me a new avatar - thanks buddy!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:56 AM
ktn

Brian- I'm looking for 1 shroud and a shifter...agree with you.

BTW...how'd you boys like the Pines?

Looked like a nice time...I'm out there most weekends in the single track.

Quick Reply: my bike is beat to sheet