My Big Gun Ordeal is FINALLY Over!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My Big Gun Ordeal is FINALLY Over!!!

No, I didn't just say to heck with it and buy a Muzzy!!!

After about 4 months of frustration and aggravation, Big Gun finally came through and I got the Quiet Core they promised way back when ... and it actaully was a Quiet Core this time, and even more surprising ... it fits!!!

Installation was straight forward, and fairly simple. I reused my packing because it doesn't have a lot of hours on it (part of the 4 months of frustration and aggravation), so it wasn't as difficult to reassemble as EMS's repacking job. I guess because I sent them every measurement I could take on the original Race Core, this one fit perfectly.

The sound level seems both slightly quieter and slightly louder than the Vortex Insert - when it's idling it seems quieter, but when you give it gas it seems to have a little stronger bark to it. Maybe its the character of the sound, rather than the level of the sound. that's changed, but it does seem slightly louder. The internal baffles extend almost half way into the exhaust flow, but there's about a 1/4" gap that you can see all the way through from end-to-end ... that probablyincreases both the sound and the performance.

Name:  BigGunQuietCorePDRM1295.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  44.0 KB

From a straight mathematical comparison here's how the cross sectional areas compare:

Race Core Insert: approx. 2.75 sq. in.
Quiet Core Insert: approx. 1. 4 sq. in.
Vortex Insert: approx. 0.50 sq. in.
Stock Muffler: approx 0.20 sq. in.

I didn't have a chance to road test it, but I'm sure withan exhaust opening that's almost 3 timesbigger,it won't be any worse that with the Vortex Insert!!!

I'm generally concerned with noise levels, so I was worried how the sound level would be affected. (FYI - I found the Vortex Insert to be acceptable, but the straight through Race Core was obnoxiously loud ... but that's just my opinion!!!) Anyway, I'm very pleased with the Quiet Core and have no reason to avoid contact with my neighbors.

Here's a couple more photos:

Quiet Core and Race Core side by side - you can sort of see the 5 Quiet Core baffles :

Silencerassembled before "putting the screws to it" (Don't forget the Loctite!!!):

Final assembly with spark arrestor in place (angled orientation of the baffles was intentional - tried to get exhaust flow away from the rear fender, but I don't think it made a difference):
Name:  BigGunQuietCorePDRM1303.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  54.9 KB

Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My Big Gun Ordeal is FINALLY Over!!!

DAMN that looks nice.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Glad you finally got all your pieces y's guy. Looks sharp!

Old 12-18-2006, 05:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool YYYGUY, I'm still waiting for my quiet core insert, but its only been about a month, so I guess I still have some time to go....[:@]

I did speak to one of the techs last Tuesday who said that the receptionist/service person no longer works there and that they are still wading through "piles" of requests for cores and returns.

We spoke for a while and I got him to find my returned incorrectly sized core and paperwork. He said he would have the machine guys insert the quiet core sections, add the 2 inch diamator bell and cut it down to 14 3/8ths inches and send it back. I will follow up with him this week and see where it is.

I hope they have truely found their service bottleneck and can work thorough the backlog since I think their product is very good (as is the Muzzy - peace/love yada yada yada)

I'll let you know how it goes....

Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

im still waitin on the pipe in general myself... hope that with their above stated situation i get what im supposed to the first time[:@]

Old 12-18-2006, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice job! Way to persevere [&:]. Istill the think the end of that thinglooks like it needs ointment. Why not green or black?

Old 12-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Looks good, now can you use the vortex insert with that?

Old 12-18-2006, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Looks good, now can you use the vortex insert with that?
No, the Vortex Insert sticks about 5" into the end of the Race Core, but won't fit into the Quiet Core because the Quiet Core baffles are too close to the end (maybe 2" or so).

I don't think you'd want to use both the Vortex Insert and Quiet Core even if you could, because both cores are meant to accomplish the same thing - reduce the noise while minimizing the reduction of power. The difference is that the Quiet Core is meant for a semi-permanent installation (i.e. people who want a quieter exhaust all the time) vs. the Vortex Insert which is designed for easy swapping in & out(i.e. people onlywant to be quieter for certain times, like trail riding or noise restricted tracks, but want full performance at other times). Using both together (if you could) would definitely reduce the noise, but also the performance ... possibly to the point where there would be no perfromance benefits over the stock muffler (Ok, well not that bad, but you get the idea!).

It was also mentioned before, but the Quiet Core is a better long term choice rather than keeping the Vortex Insert in on a permanent basis. My guess is that because of the larger exhaust opening, there is less back pressure than with the Vortex Insert, so there is less stress within the silencer housing. Sound level is pretty much the same, and I gotta believe that performance has to be better.

Mike

Old 12-19-2006, 04:45 AM

Do you have a part # for the quiet core?

Old 12-19-2006, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 954ken

Do you have a part # for the quiet core?
Well.... thats kind of a tricky question to answer.. I went directly to the BIGGUN site and ordered what I thought was the correct quiet core from their dropdown menu based on our bike.

What I did not do, and have since recommended that others do to help minimize frustration, is to further add comments regarding the exact specs that my race core was so that the quiet core was correctly matched up. Apparenently whats in the website is not an exact match.

Have a look at this link to our earlier discussions on this topic.Hopefully that will help answeryour question.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_90929/tm.htm