My bear encounter

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

You would never have got the gun out. You probably have more chance of hurting yourself with the gun than getting hurt by a bear. There are so many humans around it stands to reason the odd one is going to become pray. I have worked climbed hiked in the bush my whole life, come across many bear cougar and never once been threatend.
they will always run if given the option unless in your case something is amiss, and as I said you would have had to been a pretty quick draw to get the gat out.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
You would never have got the gun out. You probably have more chance of hurting yourself with the gun than getting hurt by a bear. There are so many humans around it stands to reason the odd one is going to become pray. I have worked climbed hiked in the bush my whole life, come across many bear cougar and never once been threatend.
they will always run if given the option unless in your case something is amiss, and as I said you would have had to been a pretty quick draw to get the gat out.

True dat.

One thing nobody mentioned was that if a black bear does attack, very unlikely but does happen, the fight is ON!!!. You never play dead with a black bear, full on fight for your very survival. That bastige will eat part of you if he attacks. Grizz you play dead and/or look down ..... that's a dominance thing.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
He was prolly pissed off that you took his picture. You should have waited to see what he wanted. I'm sure he would have just run right by you

Mike

Did you happen to get a release form? Haha just messin.

That's a great story to tell now.

-Nick

Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

yes, maybe you need to talk to his agent before you stick it on the web!!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 AM

Your lucky, it could have been much worse. I'm sure you have a few more gray hairs and unclogged a few arteries after that encounter!

I came across a black bear riding a couple of weeks ago (he was down a side trail as I passed). I didn't even want to take the risk and stop for a closer look. I've seen how fast they can run and could just see myself stalling the engine in a frantic effort to outrun or hitting neutral between first or second.

I would like to pack heat, but I don't know how much it would help in a situation like that.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats funny Mom always said to wear clean underwear in case your in a accident ,guess
a bear encounter counts as a accident.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, good story.
Only thing I have to worry about is crazy Kangaroos.
They panic and hop all about trying to get away.
And sometimes they hop right in front of you.
Same with Emus.
They just get frightened and run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Why do people think the answer is to shoot the bear?
You are in his yard, not the other way around.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

If he had enough time to put his camera away and turn the bike around he would have enough time to draw 10 pistols, let alone one.

If your riding in the wilderness with dangerous animals its always best to carry a gun. Go pick up a larger caliber handgun with some high velocity hollow points and set sail. Either that or bear pepper spray...and or a taser brand taser, because sometimes shooting charging bears (even through the heart) doesn't stop them, but pepper spray and tazers do....go figure. They can stop a bull dead still because they override the muscles. Only problem with those weapons is you gotta be REAL close. I prefer the safety of a firearm.
________
Cumshot belly

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you think my KLX at full chat would scare the **** out of a bear?
Again, loud pipes save lives. Mine and his. In a roundabout way.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

[quote

Why do people think the answer is to shoot the bear?
You are in his yard, not the other way around.[/quote]

Because its bear season, and I have a tag. But on any other occasion, I wouldn't just shoot an animal because they were there, only if I felt threatened and couldn't remove myself in a timely manner. DOH!! Speaking of tags, deer season starts on Saturday, and I need to pick up a tag for that. Hmmmm bear, cougar, deer, elk, grouse......oh my.

Quick Reply: My bear encounter