My 2007 KLX consolidated build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
I can see a single tube. Mounted on the front of the frame above the skidplate like the KLR boys do it. Can't see good mounting for 2 tubes.

Even on the frame up front seems like it would be in the way of flying debris and on a bike as slim as the KLX may want to break off in a fall.
OK, I took another shot at mounting the tool tubes. Now attached to the stock rack and also bolted to the rear fender itself (underneath the seat edge). One holds all my tools, another holds a mini air pump and a water bottle.

I may have to get a second rack for my topcase setup so I can swap back and forth easily.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Added some barkbusters B66 bar end weights today. Also added an extension cord for the helmet lock as I was finding it difficult to use the stock one.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-16-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Added a few more mods.

Unabiker radiator guards in gold anodized finish:

iPhone mount (strictly for the rare GPS use):

Coleman ATV butt pad:

Clarke 2.7 gallon fuel tank. This plastic tank is SOO light that I think the weight savings compared to the stock metal tank "pay" for carrying the extra fuel around. I wish it held more, but happy with the design.

Patched up a leaky coolant overflow tank ()

Put Ride-On in both tubes:

Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Looks like a nice ride.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Getting ready to drop the bike off for the big bore next week, so finished up a few more mods today....

Maier rear fender:

Ballistic EVO II battery (stock was dying):

Shock Sox:

Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like some new UFO KX250 fork guards on the front? Can you post up some pics, and parts info, on the rear fender swap??
I have broken the taillight a couple of times, and am not nuts about the look of the stock rear fender. I have toyed with changing it all out to something like you have there.
Thanks, Dan

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Looks like some new UFO KX250 fork guards on the front? Can you post up some pics, and parts info, on the rear fender swap??
I have broken the taillight a couple of times, and am not nuts about the look of the stock rear fender. I have toyed with changing it all out to something like you have there.
Thanks, Dan
I am not sure about the UFO fork guards Dan. I was told they are stock for the 06-07 model year. Here's a couple of pics:

The rear fender - highly encourage you to do it. The MX fender completely changes the lines of the bike and makes it look better. The whole ungainly "farm bike" rear end with that enormous tail light is one of the let downs with the KLX:
  • It is a Maier that is meant for a KDX I believe. I used to have a KDX200 and had this fender laying around after selling that bike. I had to cut/dremel/drill/shape to get it to fit, but it fits well. It's one piece unlike the stock two piece.
  • I had cheap LED turn signals laying around that I just mounted to the slots in the stock rack.
  • I bought a cheap LED tail/brake light from Amazon to complete the job. I had to trim them just a bit and bend them outward so they would be more visible underneath their mounting location on top of the fender. But it was easy to do.
    Motorcycle Tail Brake Light License Plate Led Universal Fit NEW : Amazon.com : Automotive Motorcycle Tail Brake Light License Plate Led Universal Fit NEW : Amazon.com : Automotive
  • I then cut off the rear subframe right at the end of the last cross-brace. Turned out to be simpler than I thought and I even reused the rubber frame plugs from the piece I cut-off. I have both cross-braces intact and I liked it that way so it keeps some of the structural integrity. I wanted to reuse the stock rack with whatever fender I had so having some integrity in the back was important.
The wiring diagram in the service manual surely made things easier to identify which lead is for what.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-25-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

THanks for the pics and link xara. I may have to try that , your "farm bike" rear end with that enormous tail light" reference is spot on. LOL
Pretty sure you have aftermarket fork guards on there. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...cements-31419/
Dan

Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

3/5/13: Added an Acerbis supermoto front fender. Was only $28 and bolted right up once I drilled the 4 holes. I think it makes the front end look a little more contemporary, but it's a bit shorter than I like.

3/13/13. Installed a BB351 kit and pumper carb. The internals looked great, consistent with the low miles and build quality of this Kawi engine.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:20 AM

Something different

Quick Reply: My 2007 KLX consolidated build thread