My 2007 KLX consolidated build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My 2007 KLX consolidated build thread

I am almost done except a few bits and pieces, and want to document the build here. Some of the mods are homemade and still being tested, so comments and feedback are welcome (be gentle please!)

Day I bought it:

Lowered it right away:

DRC footpegs:

MSR skid plate:

Tusk hand guard spoilers (just drilled the stock hand guards and bolted them)

AEI thermometer with remote sensor in front fender and wristwatch clock (!):

Offbrand highway pegs:

Moose fender and headlight cowl bags:

Harborfreight briefcase top case and Cortech soft bags:

Agra-Supply tool tubes:

Plus:
  • Gerbing heated gear harness
  • Battery tender pigtail and 12V socket
  • GoPro mount
  • Kickstand shortened

Hammering it at 70-75 (indicated) on the slab is netting me about 55mpg (I am told it has stock gearing, a jet kit and I can see it has a 2 Bros pipe). Does that sound about right?

Last edited by xxaarraa; 02-02-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I like everything except those side tubes and the box. If you're going to stay on pavement, it probably won't be an issue, but that box would get your attention off road very quickly. I like your all your bag setups. I did something similar at the number plate and side cover bags. I can ride some rough off road without them getting in the way. I tried a pair of wider footpegs, but they took up too much room for off roading on my KLX...worked fine on my big KLR, though. Lots of these things are personal preference, however, so if it works well for you, that's the ticket.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Where'd you get the highway pegs? I 50/50 my KLX so they could come in handy.

I agree the tailbox should come off for offroad or it won't be long for this world.

Good looking job though. Nice bike.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I like everything except those side tubes and the box. If you're going to stay on pavement, it probably won't be an issue, but that box would get your attention off road very quickly. I like your all your bag setups. I did something similar at the number plate and side cover bags. I can ride some rough off road without them getting in the way. I tried a pair of wider footpegs, but they took up too much room for off roading on my KLX...worked fine on my big KLR, though. Lots of these things are personal preference, however, so if it works well for you, that's the ticket.
That top box is strictly for pavement use / commuting. It's fugly as **** but for $27, I have made my peace with it.

The side tubes - I just got back from a very rough trail ride and they held up great and I even went down once. Now, I don't like their positioning either - any suggestions as to where else I can mount them on the KLX? I need the space for tools and pump/water bottle.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I can see a single tube. Mounted on the front of the frame above the skidplate like the KLR boys do it. Can't see good mounting for 2 tubes.

Even on the frame up front seems like it would be in the way of flying debris and on a bike as slim as the KLX may want to break off in a fall.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
Where'd you get the highway pegs? I 50/50 my KLX so they could come in handy.

I agree the tailbox should come off for offroad or it won't be long for this world.

Good looking job though. Nice bike.
Amazon. They bolt right up, no dicking around or fabbing necessary. Was like $22 shipped.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I can see a single tube. Mounted on the front of the frame above the skidplate like the KLR boys do it. Can't see good mounting for 2 tubes.

Even on the frame up front seems like it would be in the way of flying debris and on a bike as slim as the KLX may want to break off in a fall.
Thanks for the tip. I looked at that location just now, there doesn't seem to be any place to drill on the skid plate (the agra supply tool tube is too wide) to mount this securely.

As I was looking at the bike, it seems it would fit on the right fork guard vertically (left side has brake line). I know those fork guards aren't very strong and also having tools bounce around in an un-suspended part of the bike isn't great, but any idea if that would work?

Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't put anything like that on the forks.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Amazon. They bolt right up, no dicking around or fabbing necessary. Was like $22 shipped.
Is that the one from Drag Specialties? Looks like it's made for 1-1.25" tube. How did it fit right onto the bracket?

How is the position when riding? Improvement over stock location?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Is that the one from Drag Specialties? Looks like it's made for 1-1.25" tube. How did it fit right onto the bracket?

How is the position when riding? Improvement over stock location?
That's the one. You discard the clamps and the bolts will hook up to the bike where the engine is connected to the frame (see my photo). I used two rubber/plastic spacers that you have to come up with.

Riding position is good to rest the calves for a few minutes at a time. Right side is close to the header pipe - not too close to burn your boot but close enough for you to want to pay attention. When I get more time, I may go to home depot, get longer bolts and remount them so they stick out more than they do now. But they work and I am going to leave them as is for a while.

Quick Reply: My 2007 KLX consolidated build thread