my 1st time on the trails with the KLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Heck, I even wear my kidney belt during sex. LOL! :-)

Old 12-01-2008, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Hey lost66....I graduated HS in 88, just a few years after you and have similar experience..in a little you will be roosting the newbs and havin fun with real wipe outs or get offs if you prefer ..... bike riding and getting back into surfing REALLY helped my wind....dirt riding is work. lol

Oh, welcome to the forum...looking forward to some pics when you get your wind back.
I have my wind back, unfortunately the weather has gotten nastier. I do like to carry a little digital Cannon camera most of the time. I will try to get some good shots when I can, and perhaps even a little video here and there. But I wouldn't expect too much from me in the next few months. I'll ride a little bit through the winter when I can, but I'm not a psycho.

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
You have the same attitude I have. Havent been off road for 20 years, hadnt been on a bike in over 10 years. Got the KLX, and love it. Put 2800 miles on it this year. Gaining confidence everytime I ride. At first I was a bit timid, but now I feel like I can tackle most any trail.
As lcpl0331 said, get the best safety gear you can afford, and take it easy out on the trails. Soon you will find someone to ride with, and you can learn a lot watching and following them, these little KLX's really handle well, and are easy to ride. Dont be afraid to stand up and get your center of balance on it, you will need to be comfortable up on the pegs in order to tackle some of the tougher trails.
We all fall over, no big deal.#1 thing I have relearned, is you need to keep your momentum up, and just point the bike were you need to go, and it will get there.
Most important thing, smile alot, relax, and have fun.
I like what I hear from you, there may be hope for me yet. I am a pretty cautious person all around already. My job requires me to have full use of my hands, arms, and legs, so that will undoubtably lead me to be a bit overly cautious on my bike compared to my younger days. That being said, I am trying to learn the trails a little at a time. First few times through a section I'll put my feet down when I feel like it. Then I'll try it with my feet on the pegs. Then I'll do it standing up. Little by little, using this system, I might be able to tackle these woods some day.

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
Yeah momentum is key. DON'T look down at what your riding over. Look down the trail at what your ABOUT to ride over, that way you can adjust your line or speed if you have to. Pick a good line and be smooth and the speed will come. Not that going slow is bad it's just that going fast is FUN!!!!
That's a good reminder, to keep eyes forward. It's like drawing a straight line, or playing a racing video game; keep looking forward instead of down. Good tip. I kept that in mind on my last ride yesterday.

Originally Posted by deej
Welcome to the forums, and welcome back to the wonderful world of fun again. You sound like half of the several hundred guys on this site that got back into biking with the KLX. It sure brings back the memories. Have fun and take more pics.
Thanks, I thought about getting the WR250R, but it felt more intimidating with it's higher seat, even though I am a 6 footer. My legs are short for my height though. My torso is long, it's hard for me to keep shirts tucked in. Also, reading in Dirt Bike magazine, it sounded like te KLX hads better power for technical woods riding, while the WR would be the better choice for those riding in more wide open areas. I made the right choice, oh yeah!

Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Great point on the kidney belt, they really help and provide backsupport also.

Goggles, gloves and helmet, always helmet.
I have two helmets; a full street, and an MX style with goggles. I have two padded jackets, Icon Field Armor boots, Phase gloves, and some old MX boots buried somewhere if I can find them. I will look into better trail ready dualsport boots, a chest protector, a kidney protecter, and some leg/knee protection. It will be a long winter, shopping for all that will give me something to do.

Last edited by lostnite66; 12-01-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=lcpl0331;342274 I would also suggest getting some barkbusters[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I have some Acerbis hand guards on order, should be here early this week, possibly Monday. About the same time my fork springs come in. I also have some new Renthal bars and some grips to install. I hate working in the cold garage, and I would rather spend money on the bike than a space heater for the garage. I can wait for the warm days to do the dirty work.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF lostnite!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

and I would rather spend money on the bike than a space heater for the garage
Been there, done that, and froze my a$$ off while I did.
Get the heater when you can, It makes doing the work out there way more fun. Thats what these bikes are all about, eh? Having fun.
I crank the heat up in my garage, and am out there in a t-shirt when its like 20 degrees outside.
I always seem to find plenty to work on

Name:  garage.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  89.7 KB

I am glad to hear you have good safety equipment, it helps your confidence tenfold. Take your time out there learning, it gets easier as you go, and you have more fun everytime.