Muzzy vs. Big Gun put to bed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy vs. Big Gun put to bed!

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

Ok so heres the final results.

If someone were to choose, I would suggest picking the one that you think looks better, and sounds better based on preference.

+1

Way back when, seems like years ago when I bought a Muzzy over a Big Gun there were two main factors that swayed me to the Muzzy and that was 1) sound - it was thought at that time that the Muzzy was more quiet. I think that myth has been put to rest from folks that have both. And 2) was the stainless steel header and mid-pipe the Muzzy has which I liked but was less important to me than being quiet. Now that BG has SS pipe, I personally feel it is a toss-up. But at the time, the only one that I had seen in person was sdunne's Muzzy at the MX track and while it was extremely loud because he did not use the quiet core, the quality and looks were good. And not actually having seen a BG in person, it was more of an unknown, so I went with the one I had first hand experience with.

Even better now, though, is that there are many more options to choose from. Used to be mainly only BG and Muzzy back then, but now there are FMF, HMF, Two Brothers, and several others. Choice is good.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nice write up. The difference is like splitting hairs it seems and not having a dyno for those who prefer numbers.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Its hard to say which one is quieter. I forgot to mention I was running the quiet core and spark arrestor with the muzzy, and just the arrestor with the BG, unless the quiet core is already built in which I dont think.

I actually take back what I said, if i could do it again, I'd probably try a slip on or an FMF. Just to see.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would like to see a comparo on all of them! lol add beet and fmf to the list next time!hahaha

Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

That would be cool. While I'm sure my wife would be more than annoyed if I bought a bunch of exhausts, I'm trying to convince my cousins and uncle to ditch their stockers. I bet I could convince them to get at least a slip on once they see how much better my bike is now compared to theirs

Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Great write up Stellar,kinda nice to have an unbiased opinion by having both pipes to compare instead of just having one and calling it the best made time after time after time after time.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Derek. Any chance you could run the bikes against each other, say for 1/8 mile or so? If you have the gearing and jetting sorted out on both, why not? Make two runs, switch riders and do it again. We'd love to hear how that went.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
KLX 331
Dyna Sport

Old 09-23-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Like race against someone? It wouldnt be any good because I'm much bigger than my brother who owns the BG bike, like 100 pounds bigger. He could beat me off the line just stocked up. But thats in the past now.

What I did was a few tests. I took it on a nice stretch of highway, also through some hilly windy roads, and practiced some wheelies on my parents lawn (its big enough). I really couldnt tell the two appart aside from the highway stretch where I felt the muzzy may have had a little more pull at higher speeds.

I'll get my brother to try them both and see what he thinks too. It was fun doing both and comparing. Made my mind rest easy knowing that I couldn't go wrong with either choice, which is really teh bottom line.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

The race was just a fun thought. No big deal though. Even in an all out drag race, the whole story isn't told. The way an engine produces its power, smooth delivery,good bottom end and the like,is more important to woods riding than just having the most horespower...but bragging rights do have their merit, don't they?

Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Muzzy vs. Big Gun put to bed!