Muzzy vs. Big Gun put to bed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Muzzy vs. Big Gun put to bed!

As many of you know i've got the muzzy system in my bike. To be different, my brother got the BG for his. His jet kit finally came in and I was finally home from work so i did the mods to his bike. (30 minutes I had the carb out ) Took me 3 hours even to remove the smog, change the plug, change the exhaust mod up the carb, go for a 15 minute ride and write up to this sentence. That also included a trip back and forth from my house to his house to get something i forgot, which added another 25 minutes. I'm getting good at this stuff!!

Anyway the immediate things i've found is yes the BG fits around the passenger peg, but it is also very close, possibly even touching a part of the airbox, and melted it a bit. Nothing to be concerned about i don't think. I've messed with it a bunch to see if it fit better but nope. So as far as fitting goes, i'll take the muzzy having to fool with the passenger peg (it fits on you just cant fold it up and down) than contact with the air box. +1 muzzy.

They both sound very good. Its tough to describe the difference between the two sounds, but they are both very very cool sounding. So I'd say even there.

Heres where it gets a little skewed. Going for a ride on my brothers BG bike, I did notice I could get the front wheel up much easier than i could with mine before i changed my gearing. The torque did seem a little better and a little more power. HOWEVER. I decided to put my curiosity to bed with my jetting (i have the DJ 124 in mine) so I tried the DJ 128 in my brothers. Same needle positions. My brothers bike runs excellent, just as good as mine. No bogging, hesitation or any of that. I've also got the fuel mixture screw out 2.5 turns on both bikes. So I'm definately going to re-jet my bike from 124 to 128 (not today though, maybe). Also didn't open up the crank case on my brothers bike, I'm going to whip up a nobrakes crank case vent like mine.

Seat of the pants tells me that the BG might have just a little more bottom end, however before any of the BG ***** come out and bash us Muzzy ***** with the "I told you", wait until I make it a fair comparison. Top end they are both great.

Both very nice pipes, bugs me that the BG is so close to the airbox but whatever. Power on both are excellent, but I'm going to have to see what happens with I put a jet size up in mine. I will post my findings once I do.

Cheers.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy vs. Big Gun put to bed!

Very interesting.

Let us know what you find out. Oh and the foot peg "issue" everyone talks about? Its a dead issue. I took mine and rounded it a little on the bench grinder and it looks like it came from the factory that way and now opens with no problem. I would trust it with my weight on it and that's a lot

Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah brilliant! Then the issue of BG fitting better is a myth. I'm not the only one that has had it touch the airbox. I've seen it around here somewhere.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

You should have waited till you rejetted your bike as I bet that is the difference & now you know what is going to follow...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 PM

I went with the big gun only because I e-mailed both companies and I could get the big gun faster.Muzzys were back ordered, big gun could ship the same day.I'm sure I would have been happy with either one.I did notice that it does touch the air box slightly but I don't see a problem with that.I agree pass pegs are a moot point (I took mine off as I will never ride two up with this)thats what I have street bikes for.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

You should have waited till you rejetted your bike as I bet that is the difference & now you know what is going to follow...
Lol i know i know i was thinking the same thing. I did try to make it absolutely clear that its not a fair test as of yet, since the jetting is totally different. I suppose if nothing else, it'd help guys trying to dial in their jetting.

Oh and I'm sure "what is going to follow" has already looked at this thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

opening up a can of worms again guys

Old 09-22-2007, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Not at all. I have 2 bikes. One of each pipe. same conditions as far as location goes. So far the BG has given it more of an increase, judging by the wheelies I can do with the stock gearing.

If upping the jetting on the muzzy bike changes nothing, then we'll know that there is an advantage regarding performance.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

dont forget to put the gears on the big gun bike

Old 09-22-2007, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Worms? I installed my FMF last weekend. Rejetted to 124 DJ& Kouba screw @ 2 1/2. The bike pulls hard past 9000rpm. No flat spots or decel problems. The power bomb head pipe makes a big difference in the flow of the pipe. Perfect fit. No peg problems or any thing else. Can loft the front wheel with no problem! Verrrrry Pleased with the performance.[sm=happybounce.gif]

Quick Reply: Muzzy vs. Big Gun put to bed!