Muzzy vs Big Gun dyno shoot out

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Muzzy vs Big Gun dyno shoot out

Thats right...its a shoot out. I did some jetting this morning and ran to get another dyno reading. Guess who showed up? Scat. So we ran the dyno, Muzzy vs Big Gun. Scat and I are on an equal playing feild.

Scat # 1: 125main, 35 pilot, 2-1/2 turns, N1TC@2, K&N, lid w/hiflo and BigGun
Scat #2: 128main, 40pilot, 2 turns, bla bla...

a16tony #1: 130main, 35 pilot, 2 turns, stock needle w/.050 lift, K&N, lid and Muzzy
a16tony #2: 128main, 40 pilot, 2 turns, stock w/.110 inch lift, (tremor38 made me do it...double dare),
K&N, lid and Muzzy

Sorry the pics are not too clear.

We had some fun but, scat has better results. Check out his a/f ratio. Now I am still a bit lean in the bottom end, and it got worse as the bike got hotter. We decided the smaller pipe on the BG gave the smoother flow. Where as the Muzzy's huge pipe just doesn't have any back pressure. So I may need to go back to the 130mj.

So the finals are: 128main, 40 pilot, 2 turns, lid w/hiflow, K&N, stock w/.050in lift or N1TC @2. should net 20+HP

Scat...comments

Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Default RE: Muzzy vs Big Gun dyno shoot out

ORIGINAL: a16tony

We decided the smaller pipe on the BG gave the smoother flow. Where as the Muzzy's huge pipe just doesn't have any back pressure.

If I'm not mistaken, that is exactly what DJFields said would happen. Hey, just because he's an engineer that works on stuff like that, why would anyone believe his commentary?

So, the BG with the smaller head pipe is make more power. Ain't that something?

Now, I wonder what the HMF with the stock head pipe and the same jetting is making?

Old 12-10-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

We decided the smaller pipe on the BG gave the smoother flow. Where as the Muzzy's huge pipe just doesn't have any back pressure.

If I'm not mistaken, that is exactly what DJFields said would happen. Hey, just because he's an engineer that works on stuff like that, why would anyone believe his commentary?

So, the BG with the smaller head pipe is make more power. Ain't that something?

Now, I wonder what the HMF with the stock head pipe and the same jetting is making?

I believe DJ was stating that we would loose bottom end torque if we use a larger diameter head pipe. I won the torque, Scat won the HP.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:07 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I believe DJ was stating that we would loose bottom end torque if we use a larger diameter head pipe. I won the torque, Scat won the HP.
Nice results, but I don't think your carb is quite dialed in, Tony. What you are doing, though, is the best way to dial in your bike, IMO.

Tony, it looks like your mixture is a bit out of whack in the low and the high end. Scat, your mixture looks spot on, at least for run #2 which was your better run. I think if you got your mixture dialed in on the high end, Tony, that would probably cover the 0.53 HP difference you guys are seeing between the two. Since you do have different pipes, it is not unreasonable that you might need to have slightly different carb settings.

Thanks for posting, your results are interesting and tell a lot about your jetting.

Are you both running the same tires and gearing? The gearing does make a difference on the inertial dynos.

I gotta find a place closer by that will dyno mine for less money than the place I went to before. When I do that, I'll get a rear tire that grips the dyno better than my knobbies and maybe up the gearing. The gearing does matter on the inertial dyno. My bike is running a lot better now than it was when I had it dyno'd the first time. Even so, I'm still running rich now and that is with double snorkel mod with both snorkels now pulled AND with dropping the jets by two sizes. So I was running way rich on my first dyno run. I still have some improvements to make before I'll be fully satisfied.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Brian, I'm hoping that replacing the hiflow will richen the bottom end. Scott and I are running the same tire with same wear. Scott has 14/49, and I have 14/48. The dyno guys we used said gearing didn't matter. I will do two more runs, one with the hiflow and N1TC@3, and the klx250R needle@3 and snorkle. We'll see what happens. I'm sure the big factors are pipe diameter, type and size of the quite cores. We did one run with Scott's core removed, and his a/f ratio went nuts... too be continued.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Tony and myself have the same rear tire Tw302 about the same tread depth, 14/48 gearing on Tonys,14/49 on mine. I am a bit baffled on why Tony has such a lean condition. We are set up virturally the same. I can only think of one thing the pipe ? The muzzy must flow a whole lot more then my Big gun does I am running the vortex insert.
On one run we pulled the vortex out and the results were extreme lean all across the board, but that was way to loud for my liking so vortex back.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Sure Tony you still mad at me for spanking you so now you have the post the same thing that i do . Just joking, It is funny tho as I was typing away to get a post up you went and said the same thing.
Oh I forgot to mention the bike runs sweet [sm=happy046.gif]. Very pleased front end comes up with less effort know

Old 12-10-2006, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Very good to know. That would tell me that the high flow snorkle is supplying more than enough air.

ORIGINAL: scat

Tony and myself have the same rear tire Tw302 about the same tread depth, 14/48 gearing on Tonys,14/49 on mine. I am a bit baffled on why Tony has such a lean condition. We are set up virturally the same. I can only think of one thing the pipe ? The muzzy must flow a whole lot more then my Big gun does I am running the vortex insert.
On one run we pulled the vortex out and the results were extreme lean all across the board, but that was way to loud for my liking so vortex back.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Very good to know. That would tell me that the high flow snorkle is supplying more than enough air.

ORIGINAL: scat

For guite some time I thought I was running out of air box but this sure proves me wrong.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Great post, thanks, this will definately help me dial in my bike.

Quick Reply: Muzzy vs Big Gun dyno shoot out