Muzzy vs Big Gun

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Default RE: Muzzy vs Big Gun

Damn. After looking at that Big Gun I really like it. It looks like it fits better than the Muzzy. I had the pipe here in a couple days from a guy on eBay then I turned him down to get the Muzzy. Kind of wish I would have just gotten the Big Gun after seeing it on the bike. Cool graphics to man.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:02 PM

Based on my experience, you'll be lucky to get either one of them, if you can find someone that actually has one to ship I'd buy it. I have had a muzzy on back order for over a month and will hopefully get it next week. Muzzy just finished a batch and is filling back orders to their distributors, it may be several months before they run another batch. Big Gun dosen't seem to be anymore promising, they are backordered as well.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:02 PM

Based on my experience, you'll be lucky to get either one of them, if you can find someone that actually has one to ship I'd buy it. I have had a muzzy on back order for over a month and will hopefully get it next week. Muzzy just finished a batch and is filling back orders to their distributors, it may be several months before they run another batch. Big Gun dosen't seem to be anymore promising, they are backordered as well.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:31 AM

Besides having a long and enlightening conversation about exhaust db, measurement, and limits, I learned this about the Big Gun inserts from the chief at Big Gun today that you buyers should know:

Their "Vortex" insert was designed for motocross racers to slip in when they go on the occasional trail ride where public land noise limit (usual limit is 96db) is in place. They are not good for running 24/7 / long-term, as they hold in too much heat, and the packing blows out, and problems with the pipe results.

Their "quiet core" insert is more restrictive and doesn't produce as much power as the Vortex insert, but it will last longer and not cause problems.

Exhausts need to be re-packed "all the time", "more often than people realize". He said the inserts break down quickly, and the bike gets continuously louder. (I read elsewhere that they should be re-packed every 10-15 hours of riding to prevent noise escalation?!) I'm not so sure what to do with this info.

Bottom line for me: don't buy the Vortex insert for my dual sport KLX250. Either go without, or use the quiet core (but you have to change carb settings for that switch, right?)

FYI.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I love my Muzzy, but I am missing the top front spring hook, too bad for Muzzy, how can you forget to weld on a second spring hook? I mean its not like machines are building them.......right?

Old 08-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm not so sure the spring hook thing is not a big to-do over nothing. A number of other production pipes use spring hooks and some have only 1 spring hook. For example, check the front cover of Motocross Action mag this month where the new 2007 KTM 450 SXF is reviewed. The KTM muffler uses spring hooks, and lookie there, there's only one hook. I trust KTM (and Muzzy) know what they're doing. I really wouldn't worry about it. Your Muzzy's a great pipe - enjoy it! I know I do mine.