Muzzy vs Big Gun

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy vs Big Gun

My gripe is location of exhaust outlet, as stated in other posts I commute with the KLX and the stock exhaust and the 250D exhaust both get fumes on whatever is on my luggage rack and I'm getting some blackening on the edge of the rear fender. The Muzzy looks like it would take care of both with the extended outlet and its also downturned. I haven't seen much of the Big Gun could someone post some rear and side shots with it mounted?

Old 08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

One other difference between the two is the stainless head pipe vs. ceramic coadted head pipe. I have had both on off road applications and the ceramic coated pipe stays looking nice forever! You'll just have to trust me on this one. As far as the how long the head pipes last .... I had a ceramic coated pipe on a 1985 FL350 Odyssey for over 10 years and it looked new when I sold it 2 years ago. Here are some pics of the big gun.
Name:  DSC00813.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  107.4 KB
Name:  DSC00811.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  104.4 KB

Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM

Will either one allow you to keep the passenger footpeg installed. My nephew goes for quite a few short rides with me and he'd be devastated if that had to end.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

One other difference between the two is the stainless head pipe vs. ceramic coadted head pipe.
That's a good point. The stainless steel on my Muzzy turned color within an hour. When I met Stiffler, that was the first thing that I noticed, his head pipe looked like it had just been polished.

That sounds a little funny?

Old 08-02-2006, 08:19 PM

What is the total weight difference between them?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 AM

I have no idea what you guys are talking about when it comes to the footpeg issue. I installed mine and ya it barely touches, but I didn't feel the need to scrap the pegs I left mine on and there hasn't been a lick of problem. However, I agree with Iowaguy on the spring thing. I thought that was kind of a stupid design... mainly because it was a small pain to get the springs on. It does however allow for a minute bit of flex understress. The quality of my Muzzy is great.

I think the driving force for the Muzzy being so popular is that when these bikes first came out there was no "real" exhaust made for them. Muzzy was one of the first to respond and say this "should" work for your aplication. There is a huge thread on another forum that I am sure most of you know, if I remember correctly many people couldn't get an answer form biggun. Biggun was the first exhuast system I looked at but since there wasn't anything firm to confirm that it would work I went with the ubiquitous yet outstanding Muzzy.

All in all I doubt there is a whole lot of differance in preformance between the two, but over your stock pipe...man it is night and day. My Muzzy is stupid loud, i don't run the QC and it is over 100Db, my brother in law runs a Biggun and it is the same. Go with what you think you would like. You can't go wrong either way they are both high quality and great preformers!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:11 AM

Ya, i understand what people have said, but I didn't have to bend my pipe or scrap the pegs. However, it does touch when folding the pegs down but only just, and definately not enough to do either of those two "fixes." I guess I either got lucky or just don't care enough to concider it a real hinderance. It will be nice when they finally fix that issue though. I really like the green tip for the Biggun that VRFPilot has, that is sweet and the ceramic coating everyone was talking about is really sharp, but I guess I am wierd because Ever since I was a kid I liked that bluing affect on head pipes. Of course the giant chunk of melted softball cleats from my daughter didn't come off as nicely as Iowaguys...... I still have a big brown spot.... kinda like my underpants[:'(]

Old 08-03-2006, 07:55 AM

I am one of the Muzzy customers with a missing spring clip. It has been over a month and Muzzy still haven't sent a "call tag" I finally couldn't wait and installed it. The problem is I love it but hate "them" and will not buy again. Their Quality control sucks and now their customer service sux worse... never returned my calls. I had to keep calling until I reached a human (that kurt dude). I am so pissed with their attitude on the whole problem. [sm=badbadbad.gif] Enough on that.

Footpeg is also not an issue. It barely touches when moved. I had intended to dremel the peg a bit but will just leave it alone. With the KDX snorkel, dynojet kit and open exhaust the bike is a whole new machine and I love it... the color is turning even though pulled off smog stuff...

If I _ever_ get a call tag from Muzzy I will send back a few bricks and a lava rock for their "good" luck. (think back to Brady bunch...) [sm=lildevil.gif]

Quick Reply: Muzzy vs Big Gun