Muzzy QC...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Muzzy QC...

Just discovered yesterday a couple of other things that annoy me about the Muzzy build quality..
Went to install my quiet core, just to see what the difference would be.

First thing - one of the allen bolts for the end cap is half-stripped (not the thread, but the hex head).
I managed to get it out with some very delicate "allen wrenching".
The guy who put the cap on at the factory WAY overtightened them, and there is some kind of goo all over the bolts (the oddest looking loktite I've ever seen).

Secondly, the quiet core doesn't fit... The outer diameter of the core is just too tight in the muffler hole. It's wedged tight and there's still a half inch to go. I almost couldn't get it out, and I'm not gonna force it any harder.

I could live with the spring hanger (I fixed it myself), but the quiet core not fitting just pisses me off.
That's a very simple quality check that should be done. "Does it fit in the hole? Yes, it does, it's good to go."

Wonder if I should contact StartCycle or Muzzy directly? I'm thinking go straight to Muzzy.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy QC...

wow that sucks.... big gun quality is great everything fits like a glove... sorry to hear that...

Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, while I like the Muzzy endcap much better then the big guns If I go with either system I think more and more it will be the big gun, Especially if their priced out about the same. Muzzy should really redesign there system for the Klx250s owners out there instead of a one size fits all approach. My 2 cents...

LV

Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I think Muzzy must have tweaked the bend a little bit because folks with newer ones are reporting that the footpeg is not an issue. I got mine a few months before and I did need to grind a little off my peg to clear the pipe. So good for Muzzy for doing that.

One comment on the screws - that is lock tight. Someone here did report their screws falling out of their Big Gun end cap - I'm surprised BG doesn't do the same.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Just spoke with someone at Muzzy... He was quite polite and cooperative.
He just said to send a copy of my invoice along with the quiet core and they'd send me a new one.
And the cap screw is no problem as well.

I didn't even mention the spring hanger. We'll see how it goes - knowing my luck they'll send me another core and it'll be the same size (and I'll have wasted my time and money shipping it to them).

Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
One comment on the screws - that is lock tight. Someone here did report their screws falling out of their Big Gun end cap - I'm surprised BG doesn't do the same.
They don't use locktite in NASCAR ! That there is called technology and my grand daddy will have nun o that! We never used it before... so we sure dont need it now.....

He he he