Muzzy header hot on the leg.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Default Muzzy header hot on the leg.

I burned my pants yesterday. I know I saw on here somewhere a link to a Moose (carbon fiber) heat shield but I cant find it now. It was spendy but I think I'm going to go for it. Does anyone already have one? How does it fit? Where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks.
Ryan.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy header hot on the leg.

I have a Big Gun exhaust also and a friend of mine burnt his pant on it.
I'm interested in that heat shield also.
________
Ocean View Condominium Prathumnak

Last edited by Silver_Otter; 09-18-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Speaking of Muzzy, I have a full system ordered. (sorry Iowa Guy, I already have a big gun, now I want an exhaust system). I was wondering if there is a side panel support issue with the after market exhaust systems. The stock muffler/cat has contact points on it to keep the panel in place. Is there an issue once the original is removed? I like the idea of saddle bags for the KLX but I see this as agrivating the issue even more with the gap between the can and the panel.
Your experience here would be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I can't say I noticed anything unusual with regard to that. My side panel has only two holes - one that bolts through the back of the seat and the other down along the frame support. I don't remember the side panel even touching the stock exhaust. The only issue with the Muzzy is that it interferes slightly with your footpeg. This is not a Muzzy design issue - the Muzzy pipe we've all been getting is designed for the KLX300 which doesn't have footpegs. At any rate, I just ground a little off the back of my right side passenger footpeg and it no longer touches the pipe when folding up and down.

Edit: remove dead image link

Old 07-27-2006, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Without pulling the panel off, I do know that there are at least two rubber bumpers on the stock exhaust. The side panel rests on them to keep it from bending inward. As you can see from your photo there is a gap now with the Muzzy.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok, I remember what you are talking about now. I don't know of any aftermarket pipes that have those stand-offs. I haven't put on any saddle-bags on mine yet, but it's something I've been thinking about. Several folks here have used them though, perhaps one of them can comment on whether the saddle bags deflect the side panel into the exhaust pipe, assuming one of them has an aftermarket pipe. Worst case you could fab up some heat shielding material and adhere it to the inside of your side panel. Something like a layer of aluminum sheeting with some ceramic fabric sandwiched between the sheeting and the inside of the panel. Hold it all together with some high temperature adhesive. I'm just thinking out loud - it may not even be an issue, but I do see what you mean.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Also, note that there is already some heat shielding on the inside of the exhaust side side panel. I'm not sure if that is sufficient to protect it from sustained direct contact, though.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually Staintune is the best [8D]

I just can't afford one yet [:@]

Old 07-27-2006, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

When people say Big Gun, they need to specify race system or EvoX. Nobody ever says specifically which one, and I think there are both out there on the KLX250S. (right?)
I think the EvoX has the red anodized end cap? (and is more expensive than the "race system", and possibly louder too)

Quick Reply: Muzzy header hot on the leg.