Muzzy Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM
jb7
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy Exhaust

Haven't even had a chance to ride the bike with the FMF yet. Put it on late Wed. evening and just got to start it up. It idles quieter and when you wack the throttle it is quieter than the Muzzy. I ride 95% street so I am hoping that the FMF is quieter, that's what I am looking for. I also like the looks of the FMF. I will say though, that the Muzzy with the 300 cylinder and FCR 35 carb hauls ***. I hope the FMF is as good.
jb7

Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Sent you a pm very interested.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Another one moving over to the FMF exhaust......now I dont feel so bad!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 PM
jb7
1st Gear Member

The FMF is quieter than the Muzzy and it is what I need for the riding I do (mostly street). I do feel that the Muzzy did perform better though. I notice that theFMF won't loft the wheel as easily as the Muzzy did, or accelerate as hard. For my needs the FMF is perfect, but for you guys looking for performance and can put up with the noise, my unscientific seat of the pants experience with boths pipes has the Muzzy as the stronger performer. This is with the 300 cylinder and the FCR 35 pumper carb. Can't say how either would perform on a stock 250. Just my opinion, don't want to start any new exhaust bashing on the forum.

jb7

Old 11-18-2020, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Is there any way to tell if you have the "full" Muzzy exhaust.
I just picked up an 09 with 5k km on it and it has a Muzzy muffler, no shield on the header and it has the spring tensioners from the header to the muffler.
Any guesses?
I may have the same idle issue too, need to pull the carb out and see what was actually done to it

Old 11-18-2020, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

If the airbox is lidless, you may have no need to fool with anything.. The PO may have set it up with a lidless CVK setup..

Old 11-19-2020, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

The lid is still on but the snorkel has been removed.
I want to pull the carb anyways to see what jetting has been done.
I do have a couple questions about the carb that I don't remember reading when going through the posts
  1. is there a difference in performance between drilling the slide vs using the DJ spring?
  2. If you run the updated slide needle can you run it with a drilled slide and keep the stock spring or is it better to run the DJ spring and un-drilled slide?
  3. when the slide is removed do you have to put it in hot water immediately or does it just need to be warmed up prior to re-installing?
Cheers

Old 11-19-2020, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

If your slide is undrilled, leave it that way. Never ever drill a slide..
If using a lid, use the DJ kit as per instructions - just never ever drill a slide.
The DJ slide spring can easily be ordered. DO NOT throw away the stock spring as it will be required if you ever want to make top power levels (afforded by a lidless setup)..

Some diaphragms do not require "watering", some do..

Old 11-19-2020, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks KLxster!!
I won't drill the slide if it hasn't been done by the previous owner.
I never throw away good parts.......my wife would vouch for that

so if your diaphragm does require "watering" can this be done right before re-installing or does it have to be in warm water the whole time it's out of the carb?

Old 11-19-2020, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never personally had to water a diaphragm.

Quick Reply: Muzzy Exhaust