Muzzy or Big Gun?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Default Muzzy or Big Gun?

As soon as my 300 kit parts get here, I will have that and the dynojet kit and exhaust system put on and tuned at the same time. So, what I wonder is, which is the better exhaust to go with? My personal choices are between the Muzzy and the Big Gun EVO X. We know the Big Gun gives less/no interference with the passenger footpeg, so that is a small point in its favor. To carry it further , though, I wonder if one system is lighter than the other, or gives slightly better performance than the other, or is more quiet than the other? Other than a direct comaprison, that is hard to know I suppose. Both have the spark arrestor and quiet insert.
But, I CAN ask for opinions here -- if YOU could use either exhaust system with the 300 kit, which one of the two would you use?
I already have the Muzzy in the box just waiting, but kinda like the Big Gun from what I've read, so I gotta decide. Opinions, please? Which would YOU use?

Old 05-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Muzzy or Big Gun?

I have never herd the muzzy. I love the sound of the big gun. Nice deep tone to it, the passenger footpeg issue and availability is why i got the big gun. I actually had the slip on muzzy ordered, then everyone on here says that it wouldnt fit so i cancelled it, it was backordered anyway. I got my entire system from Big Gun, some sites dont have it in stock, but the company has it. It sounds awsome with the quiet core out of it too..

Old 05-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I opted for the Muzzy primarily due to the loudness. From everything that I could gather, the Big Gun is quite a bit louder than the Muzzy and that is a factor in the areas that I ride. The Muzzy still sounds great - just not quite as loud.

Other factors in the Muzzy's favor are the stainless steel pipe where the Big Gun is not. I think the Big Gun edges out the Muzzly slightly when it comes to looks. Bug Gun also looks easier to repack should that become necessary.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I was under the impression that even with the quiet insert the Muzzy was loud to the point of people wanting earplugs? Now if the BG is louder that's interesting. I too am in the same boat. The Muzzy is neat looking with the big outlet pipe compared to the compact red end cap on the BG. Personally I'd like it to be loud but not obnoxious as I go to work at 3:30 am and don't want to wake the neighbors but also want to be heard in traffic and not surprise people. More power, well thats the case in either system but the carb mods come first provided they don't void my 2 yr warranty.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

I was under the impression that even with the quiet insert the Muzzy was loud to the point of people wanting earplugs? Now if the BG is louder that's interesting. I too am in the same boat. The Muzzy is neat looking with the big outlet pipe compared to the compact red end cap on the BG. Personally I'd like it to be loud but not obnoxious as I go to work at 3:30 am and don't want to wake the neighbors but also want to be heard in traffic and not surprise people. More power, well thats the case in either system but the carb mods come first provided they don't void my 2 yr warranty.
I've owned both the Muzzy on my KLX and a Big Gun on my KLR650. FWIW, my take on the sound and quality is just the opposite of my esteemed colleague Iowaguy. I had nothing but quality-related problems with my Big Gun and the sound was not as pleasant to my ear as the Muzzy. The Muzzy looks like a work of art and nobody anywhere knows Kawasaki motors like Muzzy. With the quiet insert installed, it's very mellow at idle and cruise and WONDERFUL when you hammer it.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

There was a bolt missing out of the end of my big gun so i wrote Big Gun and they are sending me the bolt. I did ask him about repacking, no one has mentioned this...I wasnt sure if you had to repack it and how often. He responded with this......." Yes you will need to repack it. This is the only maintenance that you need to do with this pipe other than maybe checking the screws here and there to make sure they are staying tight. We recommend repacking it every 20-25 hours of use. This will make your pipe last MUCH longer as well as keep its horsepower."..... just some more info that i dont believe anyone has mentioned.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

There was a bolt missing out of the end of my big gun so i wrote Big Gun and they are sending me the bolt. I did ask him about repacking, no one has mentioned this...I wasnt sure if you had to repack it and how often. He responded with this......." Yes you will need to repack it. This is the only maintenance that you need to do with this pipe other than maybe checking the screws here and there to make sure they are staying tight. We recommend repacking it every 20-25 hours of use. This will make your pipe last MUCH longer as well as keep its horsepower."..... just some more info that i dont believe anyone has mentioned.
That was something that concerned me about the Big Gun, especially as the repacking material was around $20 or so. Having to do that every 20 hours riding sounded like a PITA. However, I was informed that schedule was more for every 20 hours of racing type of riding which is a lot more intense than normal use. So with normal use, you would need to repace every 6 months to a year, so it is really not as bad as it sounds. I believe the Muzzy will need to be repacked every so often as well.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

If the Big Gun is Ceramic coated inside and out it will last as long as the bike. I had my $750 Suzuki Pro Pipe header coated and it took tons of heat and NOS shot at it last forever IMO also I have many race acr buddies with Headers coated same deal Maybe this will help[sm=nxsmile.gif]