MRA Vario Windscreen on KLX250S -bv

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default MRA Vario Windscreen on KLX250S -bv

Hello Interwebz and Kawi Forumers!

After getting gross water in my eye, purchasing an extensive set of eyewear, damaging my hearing and purchasing hearing ear protection I decided some wind deflection might aid my riding comfort and perhaps quality of life.

My 2006 KLX250S H6F Windscreen options I saw feasible:

• There are some scooter windscreen options and slipstreamer looked like a nice option.

• I found a KLX windscreen on ebay. 2 things prevented me from going this route.
I. The buyer thought 2007-2012 was a KLX body style. This is horribly twisted as the dealer told me we KLX250ers have '06/'07, no '08 and '09-'013 (current).
II. The screen was clear and I'm a bit more enigmatic than a clear windscreen, especially if I am putting it on.
IIa. I liked the idea of quick removal and adjust-ability once MRA inspired me.

• And the humdinger... The dude on craigslist, of course. He was selling his used MRA Varioscreen.

Seen here on the KLX
Name:  20130312_210418.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  122.5 KB

According to Google Shopping, an MRA Vario Windscreen fetches about $180 new these days.

A Laminar LLC - Products for Motorcycle Windshields and Fairings, Makers of the LIP & Touring LIP is $84 and that's just a spoiler so I think I did well.

Cool and non feasible for me was the: windshield-shop.com -I'm not in Germany but they look like a good resource. MRA is made in Germany maybe that is why they are a tad cheaper there.

I got a good deal ...but... it was cracked...
Well it didn't crack until we dropped it. We were talking about craigslist scammers, test fitting the screen, as the unit slipped off of the loose mounts smashed in to the floor.
It was an accident. The downside of this particular universal mount is that it can detach it 2 ways. If you aren't careful- or are BS-ing- during install accidents may occur.

I hate to bring up prices since I'm such a wheeler and dealer and we all have our own blessings. However, he had it listed for $75 not cracked and that's what I paid for it after it cracked. The crack is only a hairline fracture near the mounting hardware which hopefully stays contained.

I experimented with some tucks tonight- la maiden voyage. When I went to the ATM to pay the wind was right on my face so we need to adjust that. There were also 4 kids amazed and giddy to see a motorcycle on the sidewalk and the motorcycle-man dance around his glowing machine.

The first adjustment pressed wind right in to the middle of my face. My face was all tingly when I got back from the bank.

After proper adjustment, I noticed a big difference on my neck and torso, alot less windy. When tucked I can hear headphones on low volume pretty clearly, more motor and less wind. When it comes to sound sometimes less is more. By eliminating wind rushing sound I could now hear other sounds which were already present and contributing to my statistical 25% hearing loss {unreferenced}.

</cons>
A downside to the windscreen is I think that you either use it or lose it. By that I mean if you don't have the screen dialed in right you will be getting blasted by more air than ever, have a crash hazard and have reduced visibility. That low frequency buffeting will bass you to deaf.

I took a ride with only the lower half of the windshield and found the wind to be more bothersome than with a naked bike. You do get the option to tuck underneath the wind, but, without a big belly or tank to lay on this is just painful. The KLX ergonomics call for an upright riding position.

The windshield does cause distortion. There is an intentional rounded region in the design of the MRA Vario. I do not know a windshield brand that is distortion free and I would be interested if there is such. Distortion free optics are what make Arai, Suomy, Shoei and a few other helmet companies so optically desirable. A distortion-free lens is also important in the goggles industry.
</end cons>

Name:  20130312_205936.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  87.2 KB

Distortion aside, Vision is pretty good though:
Here is a cell phone picture before I cleaned or buff the windscreen:
Name:  20130312_210505.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  53.3 KB

Here is a view of the lower screen alone on the bike:
Name:  20130313_001254.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  83.8 KB

Before purchasing I did some online homework on this topic of KLX250S windshields and feel others may be interested in this. This is the farkliest windshield I have yet to see on a KLX and am excited to see what else the minds of the world can do.

Here is how my screen is mounted for now:
Name:  20130312_220421.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  111.4 KB
Based off of MRA's universal design I now think any universal windscreen will the handlebars and number plate. But, budget, luck, making deals with devils and angels, housing market values and skill will determine your fit and finish.

Overall, I am satisfied. I think I wil realize more benefits as time passes. I do not think the crack will spread- hairline fracture Germany beats new China in my prior non windshield experiences metaphorically. The guy, Frank, suggested I drill holes to contain the spread of the plastic fracture.

I plan on painting the hardware to reduce glare and help blend the parts.

Name:  20130313_001401.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  56.0 KB
I also buffed the plastics briefly with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional 10 and a microfiber when I got home.

Some people might think this is a cool look, or a lame look, but this is a functional mod. Though it's not common- I like my bike to be break proof in case of a fall. A windshield doesn't mesh well with that idea. This did suit my need, budget and style so- bam.

Special thanks to Frank for the equipment, use of his time, skill and garage. Special thanks to God for everything ever.

Name:  20130312_210347.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  109.0 KB

Cheers
-Baja Blake

Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good, I'd for sure recommend drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from running.
marc

Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not a windshield guy, but I love when people adapt things to make them work where they want them to. I can't see the crack, but I would recommend trying this before you try drilling a hole at the end of the crack (that's a good idea if the following idea doesn't work) Get some solvent cement from a local hobby store. This "cement" is very liquid, and will draw into close fitting places. This type of "cement" temporarily melts the plastic and then any pieces that are touching will melt together and then re-harden. If your crack is small and in an unnoticeable area, I'd try this. A drop or two of cement applied with a toothpick will suck into the crack and weld it back together.
Dan

Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got a vario spoiler in the garage - left over from another bike. I've thought of trying the spoiler only attached directly to the headlight mask. May be just enough to get some blast off my chest without putting turbulence around the helmet AND not get ripped off while offroad.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Dan, I'll keep that idea in mind. As soon as I hear that one of my buddies has some ill take a toothpick and dab it. I could not justify buying the whole can just for it to never be used ever again. I like the fandangled chemistry behind the idea.

I never really felt like I needed a windshield but I rode for the first time without glasses/goggles comfortably tonight. ah.

djchan, that seems like a good idea. I wish I had any free windshield to start with- especially for something which may get destroyed any KLXing moment.