Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Fuel gauge much more valuable than a tachometer

Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
Fuel gauge much more valuable than a tachometer
I don't think i would trust a fuel gauge while out bouncing around off-road in the back country with fuel sloshing around constantly in the tank.

Just my .02

Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
This is the most boring thread on the forums so far. Worried about commuting MPG, but a F%@^N Vespa, worried about running out on the trail, get a big tank, or stay at home.
Who said anything about commuting mpg? It's just overall mpg. If I do indeed want to take off into the desert somewhere I want to know if I run out of gas at 100 miles (50mpg) or 120 miles (60mpg). That's a 20 mile difference. I'm wondering why I'm having such a change in gas mileage every 5th fill up, or if everyone else has had similar experiences. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all

Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
I don't think i would trust a fuel gauge while out bouncing around off-road in the back country with fuel sloshing around constantly in the tank.

Just my .02
has to be more accurate that an estimate that also varies drastically between riding conditions/styles!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Im going crazy!!! I rode 38.1 miles... filled 0.555 gallons.
In spite of how careful you are in your attempts at refueling to the EXACT same level each time, a 0.5gal top up and a 40 mile ride is simply too small a sample to derive accurate mpg calculations from. There's too many real world variables which will cause anomalies (possibly errors) like you're experiencing. They'll all tend to average out with longer rides and larger fill ups. Don't let it drive you crazy!

If I do indeed want to take off into the desert somewhere I want to know if I run out of gas at 100 miles (50mpg) or 120 miles (60mpg)
I average anywhere between 45-60 mpg, but rather than sweat over it too much, I just give myself a worst-case allowance of 40mpg and plan my distances accordingly. I would certainly never plan an off-road trip assuming I'll get 60mpg. If there is ANY doubt in my mind, I haul an extra gallon of fuel. No worries!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
In spite of how careful you are in your attempts at refueling to the EXACT same level each time, a 0.5gal top up and a 40 mile ride is simply too small a sample to derive accurate mpg calculations from. There's too many real world variables which will cause anomalies (possibly errors) like you're experiencing. They'll all tend to average out with longer rides and larger fill ups. Don't let it drive you crazy!

I average anywhere between 45-60 mpg, but rather than sweat over it too much, I just give myself a worst-case allowance of 40mpg and plan my distances accordingly. I would certainly never plan an off-road trip assuming I'll get 60mpg. If there is ANY doubt in my mind, I haul an extra gallon of fuel. No worries!
You are right on both accounts, I just have a very analytical mind and over analyze EVERYTHING haha. Whether it matters or not.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I just have a very analytical mind and over analyze EVERYTHING haha. Whether it matters or not.
As they say, "think too much and you'll create a problem that never existed in the first place"!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
That's a pretty wide spread!!! There's a loop I ride that's just over 100 miles. There is *NO* gas available anywhere along the trail. If I'm getting 50+ MPG, I can make the whole trip. If I'm getting anything less than that, I'm relying on my (3) 20 oz fuel bottles... which will get me about 20 more miles. Fortunately, my MPG has been *very* reliable; within 5 MPG every time I check it. If mine varied by as much as yours (45-60) I'd probably have to carry at least a gallon extra on me for that particular trip.

I can't think of why yours would swing so far... but like you, I'd be pretty concerned.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
That's a pretty wide spread!!! ...I can't think of why yours would swing so far
Yes it is, but I tend to use my KLX like a crescent wrench: a do-it-all tool. Some of my best mileage is achieved when I ride around in-town with my wife (as far as she's concerned I am a very mild-mannered & safe rider ). Some of the worst mileage I get is WOT in top gear on freeways, loaded down with camping gear, on my way to the OHV areas which are all uphill and against prevailing winds from where I live .

Last edited by go cytocis; 03-17-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

What elevation are you at? My lowest was 43 highest was 59 ( from full tank fill ups)

Quick Reply: MPG report. Wow