MPG report. Wow

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
You don't have to be a jerk about it, it is simple facts. I run ***** to the wall with the bike and I was surprised at 48 mpg with a passanger (maybe 10 miles a tank or so not the WHOLE time with a passanger) seeing as others have been getting in the 60s. I changed my warm up procedure and changing nothing else about my riding style and my net mpg was 57. I was merely wondering if shortening the warm up time of the bike, or not letting it run choke 4k+ rpms for 2 minutes could have such a drastic increase in gas mileage. Seems like a legitimate question to me.
Answer to question - No, the warm up is such a short time there is no way it is the solution. The only way it could be such an issue is if you were riding such extremely short distances, then having to fire up a cold engine more often than humanly possible.

One thing I will mention, I increased the mpg on my 650 when I opened up the breathing, no snorkle and a free flow exhaust (I did a Dial-A-Jet instead of jetting due to past experience with the product) and picked up 10 mpg. It went from 50 to 60 mpg and stays right in that area regardless of how/where I ride. The freer flow allows for better efficiency over the stuffed up exhaust and too lean lower range.

I don't know about the 250, but I'm betting a bit freer flow exhaust would possibly make the bike run more efficently.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Zeeko
Well, I think maybe you have too much slack in your throttle cable or maybe the throttle springs are wound a little too tight. Those mpg's are way higher than they should be! .
Well now we're on to something! At my age there IS a bit of slack in my throttle cable! And I'm not all that happy about it! As for the throttle springs being wound a little too tight, my physical therapist has advised that I change to a rotational wrist exercise instead of the vertical wrist exercise I have been using since I was about 12.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

It must have been a fluke at the pump, beucase I have yet to see such a high number again, its staying around 50mpg

Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The throttle spring is too tight.Take your carb off. Remove the phillips screw that holds the cable mount to the carb body. UNWIND the butterfly return spring. It's tricky. I ended up letting the straight end of the return spring rest on little corner of the carb body that meets the cylindrical section that goes into the manifold. You'll figure it out. Put a little blob of silicone sealant on the straight spring end that has been moved to it's new home. BIG DIFFERENCE. And free. That stock spring was very heavy but I didn't really notice until hours after. Do you think the lawyers had anything to do with this? I see their fingerprints everywhere. The sidestand switch, clutch-start switch, et al.
How did we ever survive without this stuff?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
The throttle spring is too tight.Take your carb off. Remove the phillips screw that holds the cable mount to the carb body. UNWIND the butterfly return spring. It's tricky. I ended up letting the straight end of the return spring rest on little corner of the carb body that meets the cylindrical section that goes into the manifold. You'll figure it out. Put a little blob of silicone sealant on the straight spring end that has been moved to it's new home. BIG DIFFERENCE. And free. That stock spring was very heavy but I didn't really notice until hours after. Do you think the lawyers had anything to do with this? I see their fingerprints everywhere. The sidestand switch, clutch-start switch, et al.
How did we ever survive without this stuff?
Big different in throttle response? or what exactly

Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

The throttle response felt better but it was psychological. Still, it FELT better. I live in Northern California. We go with anything that FEELS BETTER. What really felt better was my wrist and shoulder. Our Thurs. Morning Ride takes place over some nasty little back roads. 10 to 80 mph. Bumpy, glass smooth, off camber, dirty, uphill and down. Tons of constant throttle corrections. An hour after the first ride with the lighter throttle spring I noticed something strange.....I wasn't in pain. Like I said, if it feels good......
A smart klx owner once said, " If it's not broken, take it apart and find out why".

Last edited by duncanblake; 03-12-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Im going crazy!!! Does mog get better when it gets warm? I rode 38.1 miles with a passanger usually WOT and decided to chec mpg, i filled 0.555 gallons. That calculates to 68mpg!!!!!! Am i doing my math wrong

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i filled 0.555 gallons
When refilling small amounts like 1/2 gal, it's tough to get an accurate measure on how much gas you've actually used since the last fill. That top bit of the tank can disguise quite a bit of gas depending on if the bike's on its sidestand, or if you have a passenger on the back, or the temperature of the gas, or if its frothed up or not before you cut the flow off...

Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I fill it to the top of the gas tank every fill up. Even IF I could have filled it to .655 its 58 mpg.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Am i doing my math wrong
AH HA! Now we may be getting somewhere!
Oh ya, was this the skinny girl friend or the other one??? Sorry Matt, couldn't resist......personally me thinks someone is siphoning gas outta yer tank in the middle of the night.

Quick Reply: MPG report. Wow