MPG report. Wow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
I don't really care about my mpg just get a laugh calculating it in my head when I pull up to a pump, go through the long process of gloves off, tank up, gloves on and the guy in the Prius is still pumping and I got off way cheaper and with way more smiles per mile. And even more eco-friendly because my bike is mostly recyclable, but the Prius giant battery is a lot of toxic waste waiting to happen thanks to manufacturing processes. But I digress, again. I apologize. Blame my typing teacher and ADD.
I do the exact same thing hahaha, did I see you live in NH? Where abouts?

I noticed my bike was getting anywhere between 55-65mpg with everything stock. I just put on a full fmf exhaust, and once it gets a little warmer out I will be installing the stage 2 dyno jet, uni 2 stage filter, remove the snorkel, and putting on my new tires. I'm wondering what my mileage will be after all this haha. I also run 89 octane.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

grahamgower, is that per real gallon or small gallon?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I live off the Kanc, outside of Conway.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
I live off the Kanc, outside of Conway.
Oh that's up there haha, I live down in Nashua but I normally go up to my condo at Attitash in July, if it is nice I may ride up on the klx this year :P

Old 03-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by grahamgower
I am getting a consistent 25Km/ L, at sea level, with a 300 kit and piggyback EJK controller. This equates to 70 MPG. Almost the same as when it was a 250. I am still flogging it, just a bit less as the 300 produces more bottom and mid, so no need to rev to 8000. My worst consumption is 63mpg, if I go out and really flog a whole tank on hard day out with mates. Something is not cool with your EFI at 55 mpg.
That is more like what I expected out of this bike. I got the bike recently second-hand and don't have any maintenance records. All of the easier accessible things are in order, I'm thinking I should take a look at valve clearances.

I like the bike but if I'm going to burn that much fuel I should at least have some power to go along with it!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

I am really getting somewhat depressed over the MPG results I'm getting! I've tracked slightly over 4K miles on "Fuelly" and am averaging 78+MPG! My last fill up was 85.5MPG! This really sucks when everyone else seems to be getting much lower MPG than I am. As I have read the post's I'm seeing one glaring mistake I am making is shifting @ 4-6K rpm instead of 8K+, and I do a lot of back road and trail cruising at fairly low speeds, 25-35mph. Also I think I need to get a "flog" or whatever it is. Next time I fill this pig up if my MPG isn't worse I'm going to just overfill the tank by a half gallon or so, that way the numbers will come out right!
BTW:If you're just read this and have taken any of it seriously, "here's your sign"!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShadetreeAZ
I am really getting somewhat depressed over the MPG results I'm getting! I've tracked slightly over 4K miles on "Fuelly" and am averaging 78+MPG! My last fill up was 85.5MPG! This really sucks when everyone else seems to be getting much lower MPG than I am. As I have read the post's I'm seeing one glaring mistake I am making is shifting @ 4-6K rpm instead of 8K+, and I do a lot of back road and trail cruising at fairly low speeds, 25-35mph. Also I think I need to get a "flog" or whatever it is. Next time I fill this pig up if my MPG isn't worse I'm going to just overfill the tank by a half gallon or so, that way the numbers will come out right!
BTW:If you're just read this and have taken any of it seriously, "here's your sign"!
Well, I think maybe you have too much slack in your throttle cable or maybe the throttle springs are wound a little too tight. Those mpg's are way higher than they should be!

I don't know if the carbed version shares the same issue but my FI KLX stumbles and does not run smooth under load below 3k rpm's. I wish I could get some upgrades here for a reasonable price...

Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't check mine every tank, but whenever I check it, it has been around the 70 mpg mark, both before and after rejetting. Also, when starting, I usually only need about 30 seconds to 1 minute of choke on before I can release the choke and warm up at idle. 3 or 4 minutes at idle, and it is ready to run.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I am at 68mpg or so, but I drive under 50mph most the time and don't rev it, 6k to 7k at the most. Someone mentioned valves out of adjustment make starting hard? when do you have them adjusted? I bought my bike used ( it's a stock 06) maintenance record shows they were checked at 900 mile, but I haven't had it done yet, I am at 5500 miles..is it time?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10thmountainman
I am at 68mpg or so, but I drive under 50mph most the time and don't rev it, 6k to 7k at the most. Someone mentioned valves out of adjustment make starting hard? when do you have them adjusted? I bought my bike used ( it's a stock 06) maintenance record shows they were checked at 900 mile, but I haven't had it done yet, I am at 5500 miles..is it time?
For the 09+ it is said at 7500 miles, I didn't get mine done until 9k haha, silly previous owner

Quick Reply: MPG report. Wow