MPG report. Wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Hey go cytosis, I figured out the non-vacuum cold start. (Sorry for the thread derail, just saw him pop up and had to mention it).
I think Deej might have brought it up?. It worked in 0ºF the other day. Get on, kickstand up, pump the forks up and down, choke it, fires by the 3rd hit on the starter, if not, rinse and repeat(only had to repeat once).

Back to fuel mileage.
The only real difference I've seen in mpg had to do with re-gearing. With 14-47 I consistently got 60 mpg. With 14-42 I get 63-65mpg. Why? rpm to speed ratio is better stock.
I also think my very cool-cold weather helps, my fuel is more dense than it would be if I were back in Tucson(10-80ºF in NH, 40-110º in Tucson). Which I actually noticed on my EX-500. I got 50mpg in the cooler NE climes for years, I rolled into Tucson and I was lucky to hit 45mpg with slower and more consistent speeds in 6th gear, nothing else changed except environment.
So making the bike cooler(to an extent) by removing the smog crap, putting a higher pressure radiator cap, and what else I don't know, should increase mpg?

I don't really care about my mpg just get a laugh calculating it in my head when I pull up to a pump, go through the long process of gloves off, tank up, gloves on and the guy in the Prius is still pumping and I got off way cheaper and with way more smiles per mile. And even more eco-friendly because my bike is mostly recyclable, but the Prius giant battery is a lot of toxic waste waiting to happen thanks to manufacturing processes. But I digress, again. I apologize. Blame my typing teacher and ADD.
haha long day at work this made me lmao. I do need to remove smog crap, but I'm a little leary of how to do it, I haven't found any how to's with pictures so I'm not comfortable just yet.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
haha long day at work this made me lmao. I do need to remove smog crap, but I'm a little leary of how to do it, I haven't found any how to's with pictures so I'm not comfortable just yet.
Rock, I'm working on mine now. It's an 06.
If you have not visited this site yet, you may find it helpful in addition to our forum here.
I just found this a couple of days ago. I will just give it this way as it's easier for me.
Google this and you should get it. klx250s homepage
Click the dropbox *carb mods continued* and scroll down and you will see a great pic of the octopus that I am removing. His bike is an 07.
I think you can also find some useful stuff on HMF's site.
I'm pulling the octopus off-capping the front top of carb-Bill Blue plate on the head.
I intend to leave the crankcase vent line (right above the header/muffler connection) where it's at now but will open the hole in the airbox with a 1/2 inch bit.(need to 2bl check that). Some drill it some melt it through.
If I can remember some of the places I've been finding pics I will let you know.

Steve

Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm glad I found this thread and I'm not the only one getting crappy mpg's.

I have an EFI KLX250SF (I live in Thailand) and for what it is this thing drinks it up. Flogging it pretty good constantly at sea level bone stock, on 91 octane, I only get about 55mpg.

For comparison, a BMW 650GS I used to own (also fuel injected) got over 70mpg loaded down touring and my last bike, 1100GS, would get just under 50mpg.

I wouldn't really care as much if the thing had a bigger tank....

Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Comparing a little carburetted 250 to a fuel injected BMW 650 isn't fair. That 650 is loping along at tiny throttle openings and self tuning for the low altitude while the 250 is getting it's neck wrung constantly with fixed tuning. I wouldn't be surprised if the KLX is running lean from the low altitude and needs a little more fuel to bring it's power back up so you can lay off the throttle a bit.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dark Angel
Comparing a little carburetted 250 to a fuel injected BMW 650 isn't fair. That 650 is loping along at tiny throttle openings and self tuning for the low altitude while the 250 is getting it's neck wrung constantly with fixed tuning. I wouldn't be surprised if the KLX is running lean from the low altitude and needs a little more fuel to bring it's power back up so you can lay off the throttle a bit.
His KLX is FI

Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
His KLX is FI
Yes, my KLX is fuel injected so I'm trying to compare apples to apples. I haven't had any other fuel injected bikes other than the beemers-I would be interested to hear people's experience with other fuel injected bikes. One thing is for sure, fuel injection should definitely be getting me better mpg's than a carbed bike!

My drive is some city madness mixed with steep mountains and I typically shift around 6-8k rpm's--definitely not hammering on it like some of you guys do!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

My 09 250s at stage 2 gets 47-65 mpg. It depends how it's loaded and how hard it's ran. I try and not over think it.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Hey go cytosis, I figured out the non-vacuum cold start. *(Sorry for the thread derail, just saw him pop up and had to mention it). *
I think Deej might have brought it up?. *It worked in 0ºF the other day. *Get on, kickstand up, pump the forks up and down, choke it, fires by the 3rd hit on the starter, if not, rinse and repeat(only had to repeat once).
MP, have you been able to consistently get that trick to work? I have found after a couple of years now with the KLX that those little rituals (pumping the handlebars, laying it over on it's side, draining the float bowl, etc) do work sometimes, but not all the time. What all those tricks have in common is they allow the fuel level in the float bowl to raise higher than the float would normally allow. My fuel primer bulb achieves the same thing, but perhaps a little more effectively(?).
Drilled starter is still your best bet, but even that looses effectiveness at the low temperatures you speak of.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Small aluminum engines? They should be the quickest to get up to temp. It's the crazy cooling sys. that our bikes have. Do your homework on Thermo Bob's mod. My bike is a new bike since I installed his kit. I'm shocked that this bike run's as well as it does, as delivered. Thank's Thermo Bob!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zeeko
I'm glad I found this thread and I'm not the only one getting crappy mpg's.

I have an EFI KLX250SF (I live in Thailand) and for what it is this thing drinks it up. Flogging it pretty good constantly at sea level bone stock, on 91 octane, I only get about 55mpg.

For comparison, a BMW 650GS I used to own (also fuel injected) got over 70mpg loaded down touring and my last bike, 1100GS, would get just under 50mpg.

I wouldn't really care as much if the thing had a bigger tank....
I am getting a consistent 25Km/ L, at sea level, with a 300 kit and piggyback EJK controller. This equates to 70 MPG. Almost the same as when it was a 250. I am still flogging it, just a bit less as the 300 produces more bottom and mid, so no need to rev to 8000. My worst consumption is 63mpg, if I go out and really flog a whole tank on hard day out with mates. Something is not cool with your EFI at 55 mpg.

Quick Reply: MPG report. Wow