MPG report. Wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride mine as an actual dualsport, so yes, I'm concerned with mileage as well.

WOT will definitely affect your mileage. I'm surprised you get 48.

But then I also think you're running rich with a DJ128 mainjet. My 250 ran spectacularly well with a 300 muffler, no snorkel, aftermarket filter, carb mods, etc and a Keihin 128 MJ. That's equivalent to a 120 or so DJ mainjet.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Am i alone in not caring about MPG? lol
Well EMS, what happens when the lack of concern about mileage leaves you 20 miles short of finishing White Rim Trail near Moab?...LOL!

Mileage and the mix of different mods and displacement can be a strange and interesting thing. When running the OEM CV carb in my 300-jugged KLX, the worst mileage I ever saw was about 45mpg...having to flog the engine in dry streambed sand a good portion of that run. The best I'd ever seen was 61mpg. None of my mileages have been solely on pavement for the entire run, but some of the dirt portions were relatively unchallenging. The neat thing after installing a TM36 pumper carb was that my mileage didn't drop and may have actually increased a tiny bit. I saw this on durielk's bike too when we rode together for a few days in Colorado last year. He was running BB's TM34 pumper carb. In identical riding conditions, he would get a few tenths better mileage on a long run. Apparently the better carb seems to require less flogging of the engine and therefore at least equal or slightly better mileage. I was just happy to get so much better response and WOT performance with no penalty.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay lots of confusion and misunderstanding, let me try to explain a little differently. Since I got the bike I had tried experimenting why I got so low of gas mileage. I've run it ***** to the wall shifting at 9k rpm for a full tank net mpg 51mpg. Runs the same with a passanger(for a fraction of a tank) 49 mpg. No passanger, lots of screwing around in the dirt. 50mpg. Driving like a granny shifting at 5k rpm and easy throttle. 54mpg. At this point, two tanks ago, I decided not to give two poops how I ride the dang thing, 50mpg is better than the 8 I get in my truck. Thus, my surprise at changing nothing but my warm up procedure and this last fill up I got 57 (or 59) mpg. That's all I was trying to say haha, not that I'm angry that passanger and dirt riding got me low mpg, it was that even with other factors taken out I had not seen much more than 54, 55 up until this last tank.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadetreeAZ
Sorry about the snarky sarcasm Matt, sometimes I get a bit full of myself. Part of the problem with email etc is the interpretation factor. If we'd been sittin in a room together I'd have still been giving you a little grief but you'd dish right back and we'd laugh at each other.
NOTE TO MYSELF: Don't post any comments after an adult beverage or two.
I understand, I try not to take things personally, but as you said, interpretation through internet can be hard to read.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well EMS, what happens when the lack of concern about mileage leaves you 20 miles short of finishing White Rim Trail near Moab?...LOL!
Good thing i ride in western PA! MPG can vary greatly, me hauling *** through the woods in tight single track will get much less mileage compared to fire roads or stuff that i imagine Moab to be. In all honestly i have no idea what my range is with my Clarke tank and the 351 kit.... i should test it one day so i know.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Okay lots of confusion and misunderstanding, let me try to explain a little differently. Since I got the bike I had tried experimenting why I got so low of gas mileage. I've run it ***** to the wall shifting at 9k rpm for a full tank net mpg 51mpg. Runs the same with a passanger(for a fraction of a tank) 49 mpg. No passanger, lots of screwing around in the dirt. 50mpg. Driving like a granny shifting at 5k rpm and easy throttle. 54mpg. At this point, two tanks ago, I decided not to give two poops how I ride the dang thing, 50mpg is better than the 8 I get in my truck. Thus, my surprise at changing nothing but my warm up procedure and this last fill up I got 57 (or 59) mpg. That's all I was trying to say haha, not that I'm angry that passanger and dirt riding got me low mpg, it was that even with other factors taken out I had not seen much more than 54, 55 up until this last tank.
My KLR650 gets consistently 55-60mpg.... lol....

Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Am i alone in not caring about MPG? lol
My concern is to know that after making changes to the bike and carb that the mpg is in order with the work that was done. If I ride test after simple free mods and only get 45mpg then I have a problem and have to dig in again until I would get more towards 60mpg or so. Once things get in order then I don't care so much about the mpg (from riding style) as long as I know the bikes happy and how far I can go without stranding myself.
note: siphon hose to travel in bike_

Steve

Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chainslack
My concern is to know that after making changes to the bike and carb that the mpg is in order with the work that was done. If I ride test after simple free mods and only get 45mpg then I have a problem and have to dig in again until I would get more towards 60mpg or so.
Doing performance modifications will cause you to get less MPG. What work are you expecting to do to still get 60mpg? If you rejet you will loose mpg... but bike will run way better. Everything i think ive done has reduced mileage...

Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Let me ask this 1st to see if I can get an answer about the Bfire screen. For the biggest part are there little to no backfire issues accross the board with the cv carb?

Work expecting to do:
Very minimal for now- larger snorkle,delete Bfire screen(above), uni air filter, dynojet or oe 300 needle, bb block off and all hoses removed except crank to bottom of air box with hole enlarged.
Plan to tune as lean as possible with pilot main and clip position.
I would think dialing it in this way would still yield 60mpg or close. Don't you agree?

Steve

Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If you want it lean, leave it stock.

Ill call dibs on your bike once you burn a hole in the piston.

Quick Reply: MPG report. Wow