MPG report. Wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

You can bounce this off others. Any closing from your 3 turns open setting will start to lean you out a little. I don't know what your set-up is but from what you describe you could be richer than need be. I agree with the warm it up as you start to ride to where it will accept throttle and not die on an on ramp or watercrossing or pitwall climb.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

58MPG on 98 octane unleaded. Stock bore with no snorkle/lid, 128 dyno jet(228 needle 2nd from top) and FMF Q4 and i think its running rich :S

Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool Seriously??????

Let me get this straight, you're riding two (2) up @ 300+lbs and full F'n throttle and you have a problem with the GPM? Okay, I get it, you're either joking or you're not especially bright! Sorry, but the other explanations that I could come up with were even less polite! ***** to the wall 1 or 2 up mileage goes down. Stay with me on this as there is going to be a quiz later.... Lighten up the load and the rpm/gear ratio, speed and the mileage goes up.
I have tracked over 4000 miles diligently on "fuely" and am averaging 78mpg ! Of course I am rarely at WOT (wide open throttle) and I do a lot of 25-30mpg back road cruising (5-6gear) and medium trail, or highway @ 55-65, all 1 up, @ 170#! The lowest mpg I've had has been in the mid 60's at highway speeds of 70-80. All stock as far as the engine and gears.
What do you really expect out of a little engine and bike??? I'm just sayin......
Really depends on how and what you use this bike for as to what overall performance/economy you're going to see. Admittedly, I'm a lightweight on the throttle and I enjoy the view sliding by, others prefer the blur of the passing scenery. There's a plus in both, just depends on what you're looking for.

Last edited by ShadetreeAZ; 02-19-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadetreeAZ
Let me get this straight, you're riding two (2) up @ 300+lbs and full F'n throttle and you have a problems with the GPM? Okay, I get it, you're either joking or you're not especially bright! Sorry, but the other explanations that I could come up with were even less polite! ***** to the wall 1 or 2 up mileage goes down. Stay with me on this as there is going to be a quiz later.... Lighten up the load and the rpm/gear ratio, speed and the mileage goes up.
I have tracked over 4000 miles diligently on "fuely" and am averaging 78+mph! Of course I am rarely at WOT (wide open throttle) and I do a lot of 25-30mpg back road cruising (5-6gear) and medium trail, or highway @ 55-65, all 1 up, @ 170#! The lowest mpg I've had has been in the mid 60's at highway speeds of 70-80. All stock as far as the engine and gears.
What do you really expect out of a little engine and bike??? I'm just sayin......
Really depends on how and what you use this bike for as to what overall performance/economy you're going to see. Admittedly, I'm a lightweight on the throttle and I enjoy the view sliding by, others prefer the blur of the passing scenery. There's a plus in both, just depends on what you're looking for.
You don't have to be a jerk about it, it is simple facts. I run ***** to the wall with the bike and I was surprised at 48 mpg with a passanger (maybe 10 miles a tank or so not the WHOLE time with a passanger) seeing as others have been getting in the 60s. I changed my warm up procedure and changing nothing else about my riding style and my net mpg was 57. I was merely wondering if shortening the warm up time of the bike, or not letting it run choke 4k+ rpms for 2 minutes could have such a drastic increase in gas mileage. Seems like a legitimate question to me.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I would point out, without trying to be snarky or anything, that wringing it's neck under load isn't the best way to get great mileage, or longevity, out of anything.
If you spend a lot of time with a passenger you might want to consider a bigger bike. The KLX is a good bike, but it's not the biggest thing in the world.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh how I love my EFI. Press the button, starts first kick, purrs like a kitten cold, idles smoothly and off I go. 25 Km/Litre,(If that means anything in Yankspeak)

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

25 Km/Litre,(If that means anything in Yankspeak)
You're making us do math?! And throwing your EFI in our faces?! You bastard!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
You don't have to be a jerk about it, it is simple facts. I run ***** to the wall with the bike and I was surprised at 48 mpg with a passanger
Sorry about the snarky sarcasm Matt, sometimes I get a bit full of myself. Part of the problem with email etc is the interpretation factor. If we'd been sittin in a room together I'd have still been giving you a little grief but you'd dish right back and we'd laugh at each other.
NOTE TO MYSELF: Don't post any comments after an adult beverage or two.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

with fat heavy dualsport tires, i lost 10 mpg....klx is lot more sensitive to rotational weight...

Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Am i alone in not caring about MPG? lol

Quick Reply: MPG report. Wow