MPG report. Wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default MPG report. Wow

Well I am not afraid to say that I give my bike hell, I ride it like I stole it. Even if I rode nicely I never saw more than 57 mpg. I run 91, calculate every time I fill up, and I have to say, I've been disappointed with my 47-51 mpg I get whether by myself, two up, in the dirt, or all street...

I let my bike warm up by pulling the choke and letting it run for about 2 min (however long it takes to put my gear on) and ride around the block before putting choke in and riding off.

This last fill up I changed it to what one member said by pulling choke halfway and let it in slowly and let the bike warm up at idle. I did highway runs, 95 mph, lots of two up riding not taking it easy at all. (total weight about 300 lbs on the bike). And some trips through the dirt fooling around. I went to fill up early because I'd been riding so hard, I usually go reserve at 70 miles so I filled up at 60 miles. 91 was $4/gal. so I went 89 (I doubt this has any effect). Gas mileage? 59 MPG!!!!

I filled that tank to the top as well! I thought something was wrong with my bike or the pump, I went home and pulled spark plug to see if I was running lean without me knowing, nope that nice tan color...it has to be the warm up procedure!

Sorry for the long tale, moral is, choke for 2 minutes = ****ty mpg, anyone else have a similiar finding?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't give figures as I don't personally own a KLX (father in law does but he doesn't care about mileage). What I can offer is that the choke should only be on long enough for the bike to idle without it. Leaving it on for too long will not only waste fuel but wash the oil film off the bore and cause excessive wear. By rights you should be able to shut off the choke, at least mostly, by the time you have your gear on and certainly once you're moving.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dark Angel
I can't give figures as I don't personally own a KLX (father in law does but he doesn't care about mileage). What I can offer is that the choke should only be on long enough for the bike to idle without it. Leaving it on for too long will not only waste fuel but wash the oil film off the bore and cause excessive wear. By rights you should be able to shut off the choke, at least mostly, by the time you have your gear on and certainly once you're moving.
Well the issue, well the issue I had, was I'd leave the choke on, then when I'd shut it off my bike would die, then I would start it and it would die right away. Now when I use the choke half way just to start it, it will idle without dying, even after sitting for two days. Perhaps my idle circuit is too rich

Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

If it dies without the choke it's too lean, either because your climate is colder than the designers anticipated (there's threads here about hard starting and drilling out idle jets) or because the idle circuit is silting up and it's time to run some cleaner through it (or some premium fuel for a couple of tanks).

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I use an app on my iPhone that tracks mileage and I get 49.6 MPG based on my mods at sea level. I would say 95% of that is city riding.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

If it dies without the choke it's too lean, either because your climate is colder than the designers anticipated (there's threads here about hard starting and drilling out idle jets) or because the idle circuit is silting up and it's time to run some cleaner through it (or some premium fuel for a couple of tanks).
Well I always run premium so I don't think it's that. I have my idle screw at 3 turns out. It smells rich at idle to me, but who knows. I haven't had any surges or anything of the sort. I'll drill out the starter jet the next time I open the carb up.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Be careful drilling out jets, it's kind of permanent and you REALLY don't want to be paying for a replacement carb for these things.
It never hurts to run a cleaner through it. One bottle does more than one tank on a bike and it only takes one tank of dirty fuel to silt everything up.
Another thing that apparently makes these a pest to get running is valve clearances. That might also be worth looking into.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I just had valves done at 9500 miles. That was part if the problem

Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm getting 60mpg wringing this things neck. I also have to choke it for 2-3 minutes before it will run but only in COLD(less than 30ºF) weather.
My mileage might drop into the low 50's off-road.
I run 87 octane.
Something seems off.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

No, not neccessarily

Remember guys, these are small aluminum engines. They are just cold blooded by nature. It takes a while to warm them up.

Yes, mine dies if I kick the choke off too, but just sit on the bike and ride it. It doesn't have to idle perfect before you ride it.

Usually I get half way to work in the morning before mine idles smoothly. When you come to a stop, just keep blip'ing the throttle every little bit.

Quick Reply: MPG report. Wow