No
21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Motorcycle Licenes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Motorcycle Licenes

Damn Poodle thats over $700........ I'm making a DMV appointment first thing monday. That doesn't leave you off the hook Marty. Name:  emsmilep.gif
Views: 14
Size:  101 Bytes

Old 08-27-2006, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

When I took my road test it was very easy. the test started in a parking lot and the instructor said go in the middle of the parking lot and make 2 left circles and 2 right circles. Then make two figure 8s and come back here. Now for the road portion we drove around the block which was one left and 3 rights and we were right back where we started. It was very easy, Just remember to put both feet down when stopping. Make sure you come to a complete stop at the stop signs, use your blinkers. The cost was $20 for the permit and $10 for the road test. You can bet that when you ride a bright green dual sport, The cops have one eye on you at all times. This bike looks like a dirt bike . With that kind of attention from the MAN I would not want to be riding with out a license.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: duvallgold

Deej, I'm still riding on a permit and need to take the road test. What all was involved with it when you took it?

Get the book from the DMV or you should have kept the one they gave you for the written test, and look in the pages that show the 4 different driving skills. Then study them and practice them, go to the DMV and schedule a driving test. It only takes 15 minutes. The only guy out of the 6 of us that took the test that day was a guy on a 250 ninja, those bikes don't do the short cone weave very well. Good luck. Here is another idea, here in town they have a bus transit station that has all of the painted lines on the ground and I went down an practiced the driving skills and then of course I couldn't get the lady here to schedule the driving test, so me and another kid went to Port Angeles about 60 miles away and took the test. The instructor said that the kid that was with me did the test in a record time. But remember it's not how fast you do it, it's how safe you are.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

A couple of things, and I'm sure Marty will give me a tongue lashing for saying this, but I don't put both feet down every time. It depends on whether I need the back brake to help me hold the bike on a hill. I always come to a stop and lean to the left. Anyway the other thing is I didn't know some states do an actual driving test as in you have to drive around the block and in town. Man I'm glad we only had to do the 4 skills tests. Quick stop, left turn and stop in the square, cone weave and u-turn.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I live in Long Island N.Y. and as I stated above we have to do a actual road test, While taking that portion of the test, they follow you in a car. The hard part of the test was waiting 2 months for the test appointment (D.M.V. is booked for 2 months in advance).If you don't pass the first time then you will be waiting from the time you make the next appointment another 6-8 weeks. Thank GOD i passed on my first shot![sm=happy046.gif]

Old 08-28-2006, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had my license since around 1979 and was lucky enough to have done a couple of rider training courses through my previous employment. Had a ball I'm all for rider training. Even now I still from time to time practise some of the things they taught us like slow turns with feet up, emergency braking on and off road. I'm always scanning the road for hazards, looking for escape routes. You know probably what keeps me alive on the bike more than anything? Learning to read what people are going to do before they do it.
Little things like looking at their heads, seeing where they are looking, watching how they drive, are they considerate, using indicators before they turn? Things like that.
Marty can tell you more I'm sure
Cheers
Garry

Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had a license for 25 years. Since I was 19. Kept it active even in the years I didn't have a bike. I knew I would get one again.

I originally got mine in Kentucky. What a joke that riding test was. Had to weave through a few cones, do a figure 8, and then come back straight toward the cop giving the test. Had to get into 3rd gear and stop in front of the cop without hitting him. Took the test on my '80 KZ650.

Moved to Florida in '86. When I went to take the test to get my drivers license, they just transfered the motorcycle endorsment without taking any test, written or riding. But I had to take the car tests. How screwed up is that.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 AM

What? You need a motorcycle license? Just kidding. I always thought I needed one but both the dealership and insurance company said it was cool to drive it with my regular license.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Well the dealership is wrong, and its nice to know that you insurance company is sticking your neck out there.[&:]

Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 AM

I am going to get one ASAP then.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Licenes