Motor cut out while cruising

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Motor cut out while cruising

Hi, new rider here but I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. I ventured out on my 2009 klx250s for short stints on the highway today, hitting 75 mph max a few times. I've noticed sometimes that while cruising or accelerating from about 45, the motor seems to cut out for a split second. Then it's everything back to normal. I mean like probably less than 1/16th of a second. At first I thought maybe it was the wind, but I could actually see 1 bar, maybe 2 RPM bars blip out and then return when it happened. Choke was pushed all the way in.

What could that be? It just had it's first "check up". I got it at about 1000 miles, so it should be ready to go, no problems right? It was totally dry out so I really doubt there was any water getting in anywhere. I'm hoping it's something stupid because I'm not really ready to ride it all the way out to the closest Kawasaki shop yet.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike is doing this too and its getting worse! I have 1300 miles on my bike and I noticed it does it more around 4-5k rpm. Its annoying as hell! I keep thinking I'm running out of gas or something!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Fuel screw mod!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Where can I buy that from?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Fuel screw mod!
Care to elaborate? This was a used 09 bought from a dealer. The feeling is exactly how it feels when you just start to run out of gas. I've never run out of gas on a bike, but in a car, it's the same thing.

Is this mod easily hidden? A 15 trillion point inspection or whatever at the dealer might have missed it? They are gonna have big problems if that's the case as I am just now realizing I overpaid for this used 09. First bike, I'm a little shy, not a great in person negotiator, slight impulse buy, etc. etc.

I'm totally happy so far, except for this one thing. It's a 2009 with 1000 miles on it. It's should be ready to GO!!

EDIT: Were you saying add a mod-as in this is normal behavior? Or someone did a fuel screw mod and this is a side effect?

Last edited by je2000; 07-26-2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds like u guys need an adjustment in your mixture. whether its lean or rich i cant say. if its stock tho ill bet my left coconut its lean. if you decide to rejet, might as well knock a coupla baffles out and chuck the airbox lid before ya swap needles.

also... if it has been rejet'd a nasty air filter can also cause flat spots.......

Old 07-26-2008, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I start modding my bike. Thanks to everyone on this site!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpaul310
I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I start modding my bike. Thanks to everyone on this site!
I'll second that! I paid for an extended warranty, I'm a new rider so I'm gonna hold off on mods for a while. But apparently there's a lot of "free" mods that are easily reversible. I don't wanna show up at the dealer 3 days after buying it complaining with a bunch of mods.

I'll give them a call and see what they say. I'll also pay extra close attention to gear, speed, rpms etc when it does happen. It looks like I'm not the only one.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Hi, new rider here but I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. I ventured out on my 2009 klx250s for short stints on the highway today, hitting 75 mph max a few times. I've noticed sometimes that while cruising or accelerating from about 45, the motor seems to cut out for a split second. Then it's everything back to normal. I mean like probably less than 1/16th of a second. At first I thought maybe it was the wind, but I could actually see 1 bar, maybe 2 RPM bars blip out and then return when it happened. Choke was pushed all the way in.

What could that be? It just had it's first "check up". I got it at about 1000 miles, so it should be ready to go, no problems right? It was totally dry out so I really doubt there was any water getting in anywhere. I'm hoping it's something stupid because I'm not really ready to ride it all the way out to the closest Kawasaki shop yet.
Welcome to the forums, listen to these guys they know about this stuff. Have fun and maybe introduce yourself in the new member's area.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

You could help your motor buy exposing the fuel screw and using it. When the bike is new, the screw is capped so you can't adjust it. You need to remove the cap and tweek the fuel /air mixture (free mod.) While you're at it, remove the snorkel (free mod #2) from the airbox lid. (Adjjust the fuelscrew after you've removed the snorklel.)
These mods will help. They should be mandatory!
This thread will give you some help on the fuel screw snorkel mods.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=8886

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 07-26-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor cut out while cruising